OpenGL resources

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• http://antongerdelan.net/opengl/
      http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/​

These are the two resources that I feel explain modern opengl the best... for free.
      You can always get the latest OpenGL Bible and Shader cookbook if you want a more in depth look into openGL.
      GLut is outdated I think though, I try to use SDL2 and it's OGL context creation to get a rendering context.
      Also a good plan of action is to make classes that make handling opengl buffers easier and clearer.
      Seeing a whole bunch of OpenGL commands in a piece of code can be confusing, providing the correct abstractions can make it way more readable and reliable.
    • http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

A great set of tutorials, the author is easily contactable as well for requests and gladly covers issues that people ask him to do.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • mholley519 wrote:

ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

A great set of tutorials, the author is easily contactable as well for requests and gladly covers issues that people ask him to do.

I second this. It's a great resource and one I go back to occasionally when I need to remember how OpenGL works.

-Rez
    • Well, it seems that none of my GPUs support OpenGL version 3.3 or above. Both of the tutorials I'm looking at (including the one you posted) require at least 3.3 support. I probably won't get a new graphics card for this old box. I guess I'm out of luck until I break down and buy a new PC.

My only other option seems to be using DX11 with a "feature level" of 10. So long, linux!
    • Why not just use the feature set you can support in OpenGL? Use what you can, if you go with something like GLEW than you can check your support for each feature, I would find it surprising if your card didn't at the very least support vertex buffers and basic shaders.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I'm still only on page 3 of the tutorial but I was under the impression that using any version prior to 3.3 was considered outdated and something to be avoided by those looking to learn "modern practices".

The immediate mode is really easy to use and understand, but it is also extremely inefficient. For that reason the specification started to deprecate immediate mode functionality from version 3.2 and started motivating developers to develop in OpenGL's core-profile mode which is a division of OpenGL's specification that removed all old deprecated functionality.

All future versions of OpenGL starting from 3.3 basically add extra useful features to OpenGL without changing OpenGL's core mechanics; the newer versions just introduce slightly more efficient or more useful ways to accomplish the same tasks.

My GPU supports OpenGL version 3.0 (GLSL version 1.3) and it won't work with the tutorials so far (learnopengl.com/code_viewer.ph…ing-started/hellotriangle).

Source Code

1. error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

Changing #version 330 to #version 130 doesn't work, then I get:

Source Code

1. error: illegal text following version number

Would it be simple to transition from 3.0 to 3.3+ or are the "core mechanics" significantly different?
    • If you're just learning OpenGL, I wouldn't bother. Most games have to support older cards anyway (The Sims 4 shipped on Direct3D 9). Wait until you're a much more experienced graphics programmer before you start digging into the latest & greatest.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

-Rez