Keep at it!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Keep at it!

Hey GCC nation!

I've been on a roller coaster for over a year now and didn't have much of a drive for anything, not even learning C++ or GCC. But one thing I've never lost sight of was my dream to tackle C++ and make some games.

Once I got back on my feet I grabbed an updated C++ 11 book and jumped right back in at page 1, not page 50 but page 1. I started from the begging again as if I've never read a single C++ book. It has been so much fun and I've been able to recall information that I've read in the past, oh and I even started new notes!

Without making a long post here, the thing is don't ever give up on your dream and keep at it until you conquer it. Just a few days ago I recovered "Pointers" and had an image in my head on my drive home from work at 10AM! I work the vampire shift. I had just finished up the 2 page explanation on them again, and I had a post on the forums here about those as well. But it took me that long to actually go OHHHHH and see how they use those addresses to pass values along to other objects or pretty much anything you'd want, and how they give you complete control over your memory management, so the OOP side started to sink in and the "Hard Coded" stuff in my brain started to shiver because it was time to get kicked out.

Don't give up and keep at it, if you really want it, it will happen. Lastly I finally landed a geeky type job as a Hosting Engineer, good things happen in due time, never get caught up on the "right now" events. For some reason I felt I needed to post this here, maybe you've purchased the book and didn't give it a full go, well now it's your chance to get back in the drivers seat and get it done.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • RE: Keep at it!

GCC Nation! I like the sound of that.

I agree completely - keep at it, don't give up when things get hard.

You don't have to be the best coder in the world to have some fun with it. Have patience, learn and do and relearn and do again.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot