I need ideas for a microtalk!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I need ideas for a microtalk!

So I have a 10 minute microtalk coming up - what should I talk about? The audience is students...and it would be cool if I could do something outside of the typical "how to get a job" thing....
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: I need ideas for a microtalk!

What kind of students? CS students? High school?

For CS students, I often like to talk about generic programming advice you don't learn in school and wrap it up in a funny story. Give them 1 - 2 lessons about life in the industry. For example: learn how to debug! It's the most important skill you can develop as a working engineer. Then you can tell the story of that crazy guy at Origin who had perfect pitch.

Another could be about error checking along with a funny story about how it bit you in the ass when you didn't have enough safety code.

If these are high school students, I would do something a bit less practical. Rather than talk about programming directly, I would tell a story about learning life lessons. I often talk about the difference between the perception of working in the industry vs actually working here. Do you love games? Great! But that doesn't mean you actually want to make them. Following your heart, etc.

In the end, you should think about your goal. What do you want them to be thinking about by the end of the talk? For me, I want to entertain and inspire them to follow their dreams, regardless of where those dreams might lead.

-Rez
    • I would add to this but I think Rez pretty much said what I would have :D.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Good advice of course!

I'll be talking to college students.

Learning how to debug is a good one. I've always liked that talk, and I can wrap it up in a couple of good stories.

Thanks for the tips!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot