Error when running Teapot Wars - Unable to initialize direct3D device

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Error when running Teapot Wars - Unable to initialize direct3D device

When i try to run Teapot Wars from visual studio, an error message popped up "Unable to initialize Direct 3d device"

At first, i ran the game in VM Fusion 6 and thought that it could be a VM compatibility issue with the DirectX or Windows 8. Then I switched to a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7. The laptop is about 4 years old. The same error appeared.

The VS solution could compile without problems on both the laptop and VM environments. I am using VS2010 , Windows 7 and DirectX June 2010 as recommended on the forum.

Could I know what is the problem? Is it to do with the DirectX version?
    • This could be any number of things. I could mean you have out of date drivers or an old version of DirectX, or it could mean that your video card doesn't support the version of DirectX we use.

First, try to update your video drivers. You should also install the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft's site.

If that doesn't work, go to the PlayerOptions.xml file and change renderer to "Direct3D 9". This will disable all the D3D 11 stuff which many older video cards can't handle.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

-Rez