How's everyone doing?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How's everyone doing?

I thought I'd just see how everyone is doing. I'm about to leave for the airport to go on a 3 week business trip. By the time I get back I'll be at 4 months since I started working on the game. I should be 33% done with the game if I want to have something done by the GDC career expo in March...

I don't think I'm even 5% done. 5-10 hours a week (pretty much as much motivation as I have on Saturday mornings) is not enough. I think I'm going to have to stop laddering on Starcraft and stop wasting time filling out job applications so often. I've also read pretty much all the books I wanted to and can put that time into programming. That should hopefully get me to 20 hours per week.

I have the majority of the major components from GCC in place with very little plagiarism with exception of the generic object factory and some macros. I didn't do any of the networking parts. DirectX is literally KILLING me. I saw a lot of the job openings I applied to wanted experience interfacing with Maya so I downloaded the student version of that. It's been a huge time sink for basically the last month and I haven't gotten anywhere. I may have to ditch that and continue with my sphere and tetra characters!

On top of that, I haven't gotten around to automated building and testing, which I wanted to do. I only have experience doing that on Linux, so I don't know what to use. I always made scripts and used crontab. No bug tracking either. I should get on that... but I feel like working on the gameplay will be more important for such a small single person project.

Most people I know just think I'm crazy. I'll almost certainly take a pay cut, have longer hours, less job security, and I'm assuming the benefits aren't as good. But, I sit at my job and dream about making games instead, so I feel like I should at least try.

So, we'll see how the next 8 months go. Maybe I should break it down and start hitting some landmarks. It's hard to judge how much time things take having never done some of this stuff, like DirectX.

Anyways, I hope you are all being more productive than me!
    • RE: How's everyone doing?

Originally posted by DieselMaxPower
      I thought I'd just see how everyone is doing. I'm about to leave for the airport to go on a 3 week business trip. By the time I get back I'll be at 4 months since I started working on the game. I should be 33% done with the game if I want to have something done by the GDC career expo in March...

I don't think I'm even 5% done. 5-10 hours a week (pretty much as much motivation as I have on Saturday mornings) is not enough. I think I'm going to have to stop laddering on Starcraft and stop wasting time filling out job applications so often. I've also read pretty much all the books I wanted to and can put that time into programming. That should hopefully get me to 20 hours per week.

Welcome to game development. A really smart producer who has been making games since the early 80's told me to try and estimate the amount of time a project will take, then double that estimate. You might even want to triple it in the beginning.

When I get locked into a project, personal or otherwise, my game playing time drops to nothing. Right now, I find myself playing my 3DS more than anything, which I only do while waiting in line at a store or right before bed. Memorial day was the last time I played a "real" game. I can't even remember when it was before that.

Once the crunch is over, I generally go back and binge on games.

but I feel like working on the gameplay will be more important for such a small single person project.

It is. Focus on the gameplay.

Most people I know just think I'm crazy. I'll almost certainly take a pay cut, have longer hours, less job security, and I'm assuming the benefits aren't as good. But, I sit at my job and dream about making games instead, so I feel like I should at least try.

You ARE crazy. Most game developers are. I could make half-again what I'm making now over at Oracle which is just down the street. When I first joined the industry, I took a 40% pay cut. It was the best decision I ever made.

Anyways, I hope you are all being more productive than me!

Well, I was up until 6am trying to get this change checked in, got four hours of sleep, and now I'm sitting at my desk waiting for my local asset build to finish. I guess that's productive..... ;)

-Rez