3rd party libs for VS2013?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yep, we saw the message; they send it to everyone who has an account. We'll have a chat about where we want to move the code and let everyone know what we decide.

As for the 3rd party libs, I know Mike was very close to getting them working. Not sure what state they're in now, but it sounds like they're crunching at work.

-Rez
    • I'm currently stuck on upgrading the DXUT libraries....I'll get it done for sure it's just a bit of a slog.

Sorry this is taking so long, everyone!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Hrm so this could be somewhat tricky. Since the release of the book, the DirectX SDK has been included into the Windows SDK, and one of the advancements therein is a consolidation to make coding cross platform apps that run on Windows 8, Windows Phone, and even Xbox One possible.

Of course, this all requires Visual Studio 2013 (or even 2015, which I just downloaded), and Windows 8.

So, in typical fashion, in order to update the code I need to do some vast refactoring and likely break compatibility with older compilers and certainly older versions of Windows. Bleh.
      Mr.Mike
    • Hah, this is actually exactly what I came onto the site for. How long do you reckon I'll [we'll] be waiting on this update? I'm kind of desperate since it seems some of the resources in the fourth edition are already scattered around. I'm not savvy enough to put together everything that supposedly comes with Teapot Wars on my own, or even what kinds of code I should write up until chapter 7, which is where I'm currently at. I thought I'd try and read through the files, but I think I'm missing something, because I'm not sure where to look first.
    • Not sure, since Mike is handling it. I'll email him and let you know what he says.

-Rez
    • Quick update: It sounds like Mike got DXUT compiling under VS 2013. He's getting closer! He's sharing the branch info with me so I can jump in there too. Hopefully it'll go a bit faster with two people hammering on it.

Thanks for all your patience everyone.

-Rez
    • Yeah sorry this is taking so long. I'm jumping back on the bandwagon today to push it along.
      Mr.Mike
    • I've just finished getting all the 3rdParty libraries to compile and link under VS2013, except for the lua_plus. Rez could you take a crack at that one?
      Mr.Mike
    • LuaPlus is now working and checked into the branch. I got it to link with TeapotWars as well. The only error I'm getting right now is when trying to link bullet.

-Rez
    • Yup. Just some linker errors to take care of. We are close - I jacked around with the copyalllibs_vs2013 script today to make things easier to maintain. The bullet libraries have been renamed - that's why the linker error is happening.

I'm getting Lua linker errors on my end and some goofy stuff with the effects11.lib. I'll look into it at lunch tomorrow.
      Mr.Mike
    • With Lua itself or the LuaPlus libs? What are the errors? Are you building the solution in the IDE or running the script?

-Rez
    • mrmike wrote:

Yup. Just some linker errors to take care of. We are close - I jacked around with the copyalllibs_vs2013 script today to make things easier to maintain. The bullet libraries have been renamed - that's why the linker error is happening.

I'm getting Lua linker errors on my end and some goofy stuff with the effects11.lib. I'll look into it at lunch tomorrow.

Just a note here, that you can use a custom post build event to copy libs, instead of a batch file.

copy "External\glut32d.dll" "$(OutDir)"
      copy "$(TBB21_INSTALL_DIR)\ia32\vc7.1\bin\tbb_debug.dll" "$(OutDir)"
      software.intel.com/en-us/artic…on-for-video-games-part-7 Here's an example!

Also, why are you still using dxut, when it's deprecated, the new windows sdk uses new syntax (especially noticeable with math), and it requires less external libraries to use!
      nvm, i think dxut is still needed, but a lot of libs got deprecated and have got a good supplement in the windows sdk.

• Just a note here, that you can use a custom post build event to copy libs, instead of a batch file.

copy "External\glut32d.dll" "$(OutDir)"
      copy "$(TBB21_INSTALL_DIR)\ia32\vc7.1\bin\tbb_debug.dll" "$(OutDir)"
      software.intel.com/en-us/artic…on-for-video-games-part-7 Here's an example!

Because we're trying to change the 3rd party source and project files as little as possible. That way, there are fewer changes required when a new version comes out. Besides, it's generally easier to have a single script where the build & copy stuff lives rather than having it spread out everywhere in all of those project files. It's easier to maintain. We have one place to change it when something (like upgrading to VS 2013) changes how and where we want to copy it. It's too easy to accidentally miss a project file if we had a post-build step.

Also, why are you still using dxut, when it's deprecated, the new windows sdk uses new syntax (especially noticeable with math), and it requires less external libraries to use!
      nvm, i think dxut is still needed, but a lot of libs got deprecated and have got a good supplement in the windows sdk.

The simple answer here is because too much would have to change. If we were to do another edition of the book, we might consider pulling out libraries (we pulled out boost going from 3rd to 4th edition for example), but we want to keep things as close to the book as possible for the distributed code. Most of our code changes since finishing the book have been bug fixes.

We chose to use DXUT in the first place because it simplified a lot of stuff. If our focus was graphics, it would make sense to not use it at all. In our case, we wanted to get to the juicy stuff faster.

-Rez