Good grief....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Good grief....

Go check out the latest book review on Amazon.com - this guy really HATES the book!

The funniest thing about his review is that he didn't even pick on the most glaring problems in the book, like some missing chapters, the editing mistakes, etc.

Instead he picks on my advice and opinions!!!

While it would be unwise of me to respond on Amazon with an alternate viewpoint, perhaps some of you would post a few more reviews to push this guy's opinions further down the page a bit????
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: Good grief....

Yup - you were the first, I think.

That's ok dood. I posted my own review - I hope it sticks. I think it's a balanced review too - so far I've only read one other that really picked on a few things in a level-headed and rational way.

Now if I could only remember where that is....
      Mr.Mike
    • Firstly, I don't think making more reviews will push it down the page, I believe the spotlight system works on how many times a review has been rated (I'm refering to this part "16 of 24 people found the following review helpful") and I don't think it cares too much about weather it recieved good ratings or not either. So badly rated reviews or reviews with only a small number of ratings are listed lower on the page than those with lots of people saying the review is crap.

So the best way to knock it down the page would be to give other reviews good ratings.

Personally I would feel bad about knocking somebody's review down the page just because he didn't agree with me (or provide any real facts to back up his case), but then again he did also knock André.
    • Dood I'm not upset about a bad review - to be honest I expected a lot more of them. It has more to do with what he picks on, like variable naming conventions and using smart pointers on console games, and having opinions!

What really gets me is the fact that he picks on the production section - saying that the last games I worked on weren't "hard" enough.

All I can say about that is I've worked on Thief III for the last six months on 3D camera AI and character animation, and I'm using the same production techniques I used on those card games, and everything is coming along just fine, thank you very much!

Turns out Robert works (or worked) for Lucas Arts, and has been in the industry since 1998 (according to MobyGames). He's earned the right to pour some red ink.

Since his review showed up the book has steadilly dropped in the sales ranks - so I'm motivated to fix that. I just wish it wasn't the first review on the page, that's all.....
      Mr.Mike
    • Man it sounds like that guy didn't even read the book. "D. Palmer", I guess if I had a name like that I'd hate the world too, if he has a wife her name will be Mrs. Palmer. :D

Mike have you got any enemies that you know of?

Actually, I really wouldn't be supprised if it was the author of "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" that wrote that review. His middle inital is also D. and both of them include the inital when writing their name. OK so I shouldn't be accusing people like this, I'll stop the conspiricy theories now. :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().