Building Your First Game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Building Your First Game

This is, by far, the #1 mistake I see people make when they try and make a game. You're simply not going to make something great for your first game; you'll be lucky to finish anything at all. Start small!!

hobbygamedev.com/beg/incremental-learning/

-Rez
    • After working on a game for two months I completely see the light - I should be aiming smaller.

That being said, I suck substantially less at C++ compared to two months ago. Even stuff I thought I would hate, like re-implementing the STL, has been super fun. GCC has been such an amazing resource too. I was trying to get a memory pool going the last couple of days. I broke down, looked at the book and realized you made a macro to overload operator new for any class!!!

Mind = *^%$ing blown

Here I am basically making a completely custom API to get memory, when all I needed to do was forget about the memory pool and use new. Once I want to pool something I copy the macros in and I don't have to touch a single allocation. Genius! I'm actually pretty glad no game studios are replying to my resume because I have so much left to figure out.

Plus, I probably won't be able to pay my student loans on an entry level game developer's salary. Perhaps it's best that I dwell on the demo for another year or so :)
    • Macros can be really powerful when they're used correctly. :) I can pool anything by just adding a couple of macro calls to a class. You should always strive for making the least number of changes possible when creating systems like this.

-Rez