Actors and SceneGraph transform communication

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Actors and SceneGraph transform communication

Hey guys,

and another question about a detail of GCC4.

I am currently looking at the scene graph and the interaction with the actor system. Specifically I am curious how the current world transform is communicated between the two systems. I am now a little confused because there are two places in the code where the transformation matrix gets transferred from the TransformComponent to the corresponding SceneGraph:

1. The first variant is in Scene::MoveActorDelegate where an Move_Actor event is received and the transformation is then set to the appropriate SceneNode via SetTransform().

2. The second variant is in SceneNode::VPreRender where the node queries the TransformComponent for the transformation and writes it to the SceneGraphProperties.

These two seem redundant. So why is there the second variant and why was it added post press as a comment in SceneNode::VPreRender suggests?

Thanks!
    • Hey there -

Sorry for being a little missing in action on your post - Rez and I have both been working 60+ hours a week and that has left very little time for staying current on the forums.
      You are likely correct, in that there's a redundancy here - I recall that Rez and I both worked on that section of code and we didn't know what the other was doing!

That happens sometimes.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Originally posted by mrmike
      You are likely correct, in that there's a redundancy here - I recall that Rez and I both worked on that section of code and we didn't know what the other was doing!

Yeah, that sounds about right. That means I should have documented that code better so that we knew exactly how it should work.

-Rez