3DMive looking for Beta testers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 3DMive looking for Beta testers

Hello guys, after asking rez and mrmike about posting some "ad" about my software here and them saying it was cool (only rez answered though), I guess here it is.

I am releasing 3DMive for beta testers and since it is mainly aimed at programmers, here it is. I want you guys to feel free to give me any feedback you want. 3DMive is not ready for release yet, and is missing many features that are integral part of it, i.e. material editing, mesh size editing, mac/linux release, and more, but as I am running out of meshes to test it with, I need you guys's help.

[download link]
      3dmive.com/downloads/3DMive_Beta_1.0.0_Win7-8.1.exe
      It runs on Windows 7/8.1

Here are the links for the video tutorials that I made exclusively for gcc 4 programmers (i.e. you guys on this portal).

Video 1
      NOT AVAILABLE

Video 2
      NOT AVAILABLE

Below is a list of what I'm working on right now to make it easy on you if you want to send me some suggestions/feedback.

*OpenGL Renderer(eventhough my knowledge of OpenGL is 0%, actually I wouldn't mind some volunteers!)
      *Ability to resize mesh
      *Material Editor
      *SMTP client to email bugs from within 3DMive
      *News feed reader (so I can send news of upcoming features)
      *Plug-in API, so you can develop your own 3d model file format without worrying about so many different 3d modelers
      *3DMive.com development (trying to brush up on my html/css/javascript)

Send feedabck, comments, bugs(with/without mesh), and anything else to my email (hondero2552@3dmive.com), because I don't want to use GCC4 forums too much. I'm not trying to push it. Lol

Hopefully you find yourself using 3DMive more and more, and not only once to tested. Enjoy!

PS. In case you were wondering 3DMive will be FREE, and I'm currently thinking if I should go open source or not with it!

EDIT: Currently I deleted the videos because I'm adding new features to 3DMive and will be uploading brand new video tutorials showcasing the new features as well as fixing a couple of thins from feedback here.
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 2 times, last by hondero ().

• hondero,

I think what your doing is admirable and while I use blender for most everything, I'm not able to do much right now but I will be checking up on your progress!

Getting ready for a state to state move so I will be MIA for awhile until we get back on our feet!

Later,
      Gaddam
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I took a look as well as watched the videos, it seems like the software is pretty solid as well as the interface is nice. One thing I am still questioning though, what is it? From what I gather it is an OBJ model viewing software, but is that the entire scope of the project? Are you trying to make a 3D editing or a viewing software? Regardless of that it is a really cool project to learn from as far as the graphics programming goes, so keep it up. I would say you should have a more detailed description of the actual goal of the project however and what the intended use of the software will be as it's not immediately apparent.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • You are absolutely right Matt..... those videos will be changing this week as well as more features are being added as I type. I made a mistake by releasing it so early. But soon I will be giving an update and re-doing the videos. Also, somebody told me I kept calling the OBJ files OBG which I didn't even notice. Lol.

PS. The software is a 3DModel viewer with the ability to edit things like material, coordinate system, faces normals and mesh size. It will also be able to export to different file formats. It will also be multiplatform (not just Windows).
      Intel i7 3930k
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w
    • What benefit is there to using a tool like this rather than a tool like Blender which is equally cross platform and has a familiar workflow for artists?
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Well the main thing is NOT having to learn how to use Blender and other modelers. 3DMive is for programmers not artists. I had the hardest time learning to use blender, when I finally did, the first time I payed for a 3D Model it was done on Maya, and when was imported into blender didn't look right at all. i'm sure it was something I was doing wrong with the normals map, but then again that's exactly my point. So my time was wasted and the artist didn't work with blender. This is where a tool like 3DMive can come in hand. 3DMive should be the bridge between all this different 3d modelers helping ease up our lives as programmers. I was developing 3DMive for my own personal use, but then I decided it would benefit more people if I released it to everybody interested in it. However, it is also ok if a programmer doesn't see a point on using it.

Also, after trying to do the same with ASSIMP, and then finding out they haven't updated it in centuries and it is also not multiplatfrom, I just kept coming up with reasons for 3DMive.

PS. Love feedback like this.... Helps me stay on my toes.
      Intel i7 3930k
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 1 time, last by hondero ().

• Another/Last Update

Hey guys I just wanted every body to know that I have release an update for 3DMive. If you downloaded the first version just open 3DMive and it will let you know about the update, else dowload it here 3DMive-Download.

Also I updloaded some new videos and deleted the old ones after some great advice on how to improve some things.

3DMive Overview/User-Interface

Importing/Exporting a 3DMesh and The Context Menu

Camera/Light Movement

Editing Materials

This will be the last update that I post here. I will devote the rest of my time to setting up the website @ 3dmive.com. So if you want to stay updated on what's going on just visit the site.

Below are the the changes and bug fixes the update brings, I know many of you gave me some awesome feedback and even reported some of these bugs, sorry I can't mention you here, I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.

Beta 1.1.0:
      * Added ability to edit material properties such as diffuse, ambient and specular terms, as well as mesh transparency
      * Added ability to focus the camera on imported mesh or on the center of the world.
      * Fixed a bug that prevented transparency from being exported to OBJ files
      * Changed Flip faces button to Change Coord-System as it applies more to what it does
      * Fixed bug that showed face-normal even if the triangle was culled by the rasterizer state
      * fixed bug that will trigger an exception if texture being exported already existed (Windows 7 Only)
      Intel i7 3930k
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 1 time, last by hondero ().