VS 2010 Project Guide/Instructions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VS 2010 Project Guide/Instructions

I've been attempting to recreate the project files and directory structure in a brand new VS Project. I've created all the folders and have setup a nice structure but I can't get it visually in my head on using those pesky filters and keeping VS in line with that directory structure like you guys did in the book.

If anyone is able to make this a step by step guide here I would be very grateful, or even a video. I've found that I'm a good visual learner and it helps reinforce my knowledge.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I personally don't use the VS filters at all, instead I click the 'Show all files' button, which will essentially show all of the files beginning in the directory of the project. You will than need to make sure your cpp files are 'included' in the project as well by right clicking and selecting include in project.

This is just another way of doing things, I prefer it as if you have a complex folder structure, you do not need to reproduce it in filters. One thing VS seems to lack is an 'Add From Directory' with a recursive option which builds a filter tree for you, which other options like Eclipse have.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Thanks mholley! That answers that part of the issue I'm having, I just couldn't figure out how mrmike had setup the solution files to go into a folder named msvc and then he was able to maintain his directory structure, I have read over the chapter a few times and made the tweaks but I still can't figure it all out.

I suppose I just need to see it visually once, a from scratch project being built and the GCC4 engine added and setup, then the newly created game project setup and ready to be coded.

I've done a lot of one source code file projects and assignments from coding books but I've never had to create something on this level, that requires a build order and a bunch of options to be toggled.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I was stuck on the exact same thing in VS 2013, and I finally figured it out. What it appears Mr Mike has done is this:

1. Set up directory structure on his hard drive.
      2. Create the project in the Source\ directory (if you look on the google code project, in the Source\ directory, there is a folder called GCC4 that has all the project files)
      3. In VS, Add filters, then add items, placing them in the correct folder on the computer, by clicking browse, and saving the file in the right actual directory on the hard drive.
      4. After doing this, then set up all the changes listed in the book.

I think this is what he has done cause the examples in the book list the path like this $(SolutionDir)..\..\Game, and if the solution is set to the Source\GCC4, then $(SolutionDir)..\..\Game would correspond to the right folder on the hard drive. This worked for me, then I added to it a bit.

What I did was Created an extra folder called Build, and then I set the project to be stored in the Builder folder, and included my other directories as New Filters, and then create all the new files in the correct folder, and then all the project files (which I think clutter stuff up) are in the Build folder, and all the Assets, Source ect. are clean and happy in their respective homes, and then all the built options set correctly, as Mr Mike suggests. Took me 6 hours of messing around in VS and hunting on the web to figure this out too... So hope it helps!
      Birdemic