RenderComponent Purpose?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RenderComponent Purpose?

From what I can tell the RenderComponent (and it's subclasses) only purpose is to create the corresponding SceneNode. After this it appears to never be used again. Wouldn't it be better to destroy it after its done or combine it's purpose with another component so that it is still used?
    • Personally I don't think so as the components are meant to represent a single aspect of the actor, as well the rendercomponent can have several options like 'cast shadows'
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Yes exactly, but I think more importantly it represents an aspect of the actor, I personally feel like anything that represents a part of an actor should be put in a component.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • All of these things are correct. :)

In a real engine, the render component would have a lot more functionality. Its main purpose is to act as the interface into the rendering system for that object. For example, you might have a function that makes the object invisible, or applies a new shader.

-Rez
    • Or perhaps to define which camera the actor should be attached to! I say that because it can be very useful to have a separate camera for UI.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot