Could you help with setting up a working directory?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In the debugging section of the project properties, it will actually let you browse to the location, when you select your folder, it actually enters a relative location, but I am sure both are fine.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Like what mholley519 said, both will work fine but i suggest using the latter. The first one is hardcoded to always find the path in the c:\game_code44\dev\.... If move the folder to a different location or drive then that will fail. While the second option, ($ProjectDir) is dynamic. It gets updated to the correct path even if you move the project folder in a different path.
    • Yes that is true, setting macros are really nice about visual studio. I use them in almost every setting as I work in teams and it makes the project work instantly.

One thing to note though is that the debug settings are part of the user options file, which is awful to include in source control as it is updated almost every time you open the project, It is also specific to users so i do not usually add it to version control. This simply means that anyone sharing your code base will have to set the working directory themselves.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Worth noting, project settings under the "Debugging" group as considered user settings, so unless your *.suo files are under source control, this is purely a local thing for you. If you're not going to move your source tree to a new location, there should be no issue with a hard-coded path, as that setting will be local.

James