Getting a Job

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Getting a Job

Hey Mike,

In your book you mentioned how your first job at Origin was obtained almost without any C or C++ experience on your part (unless I read it wrong). Mainly how you got into the business on the strength of your devotion and the people who hired you seeing it.

Do you still think this is possible now-a-days?

I will be graduating this upcoming June (hopefully :P) with a BS in Computer Engineering and an MS is Systems Engineering but ever since I was a kid I wanted to program video games. I am considering staying at the university to do a Ph.D. (at least my boss wants me too) and doing a doctorate in computer programming, but I wonder, is this the best way to get into the business? I am mainly afraid of losing another two years to get a degree that won't help me attain my dream.

I guess I am a fair programmer. I haven't really written any of my own games from scratch to finish, but did mess around a lot in various MUDs and read through many Game Development Series books by LaMothe to become familiarized with DirectX.

So what do you say?

Nos

PS. I am still reading your book currently and many parts go hand-in-hand with a software engineering class I am currently taking (you know.. all about CVS, models, specs... etc.)
    • Hey Nos, I know exactly how you feel. My opinion is that you don't have to get a PhD in computer programming to get into the gaming industry... you just need to be a really good C++ programmer... and you need some way of proving that you are a good C++ programmer. You could just get a job targeting C++ just to get your feet moving and also work on a game demo in your free time. Those two things will keep your C++ skills sharp in a team oriented environment and keep your skills relevant to the gaming industry. Being a really good team programmer is a biggie. I honestly feel that if you're a good programmer in the right place looking in the right direction, then the game programming will just follow.
    • My thoughts exactly - the one thing I'd add to that is show off some good skill by creating some piece of technology that is game related - perhaps a suite of shaders, a simple statics/dynamics simulation, or anything similar.

I wouldn't try to create an entire game engine from scratch - there's simply too much to do, and you won't really show off well. Maybe start with something in the public domain, and adapt it in an interesting way.

All in all, Kain's observation of being a really skilled programmer comes before anything else.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Jack of All Trades?

Well,

The above being mentioned... I agree that programming is surely the way to go and slowly develop a portfolio. Although one begs to ask then, is it more economical in the long run to become a jack-of-all-trades (know the basic of all programming whether it be graphics, networking, AI, scripting, etc.) or to really focus on an area of interest and become a really good programmer there?

So far I enjoyed every single area I have been exposed to. I just want to do it all :P I was always biased towards MUDs and MMORPGs however, but those are huge team undertakings.

The main question I still have: How good of a programmer must you really be and should you concentrate in an area?

A friend of mine who worked with me at the lab in my university did a minor in CS and read through a few books by LaMothe created a small PacMan based game based on coding ideas portrayed in one of those books and landed a job working for EA Sports.

I hope life was that easy for everyone.

Secondly, does creating a game portfolio with games that were coded and created in such Game Development books where you make some changes, add some functions and classes to alter the game somewhat considered valid?

I am really hoping to start writing my own MUD based game and put that into the portfolio. I am planning to write it in C++ (most MUDs are C based). I was considering making it an open source project shared by many interested since I have a feeling it would take a long long time for me to do it alone. I am not strong at all in 3D graphic modeling so it would most likely be a console project and not a windows one. This makes life easier to a degree. If anyone is interested in helping out as an educational experience or just to stay in C++ shape let me know. Maybe Mike could even help us set up a CVS site on this server :P and with some of the coding. Please let me know.

Nos
    • RE: Jack of All Trades?

I Really like that idea... And i would definatly be intrested in doing it with you but i dont think i could keep up with you at all... I am just a beginner with directX, but if it is ok with you, would i just be able to keep up with the code, and try to learn off of your project?
      Wort wort wort.
    • RE: Jack of All Trades?

Great idea! I'd love to be involved in a project on this site! I've got 5 years C++, but not much DirectX.

The big + would be the motivation factor - working with other folks always makes it easier for me to keep going at least.

I can spell CVS ( 'C' 'V' 'S' :P ) so I'd be willing to have a go at setting up a project. But Mr Mike may not care to have us mucking about here (??) If not we could set something up on SourceForge....

And Kaimera, I wouldn't worry about lack of experience - everyone has something creative to add, and we're all here to learn from each other (well, at least I assume so. <BG> )

pj
    • Well,

MUDs are text based games... so no DirectX wouldn't really be involved. You can look upon it as a good learning experience for data structures, scripting and game development. I suggest we just do a text-based MUD to start out with. Once we are satisfied with the game then we can transform it to a 2D Ultima-style game by creating all the avatars and bitmaps and then when we are happy with that to a 3D Everquest-style game.

Reason I suggest this is because graphics, audio, sprites, etc are time-consuming artist requiring pieces of work. Lets make a text-based game to start out with and make sure we have a good game first before going into the DirectX 2D and 3D and Audio components.

Just a suggestion,

Nos

PS. I plan to start coding the beginning of the MUD in about a month when my finals are over (December 11th) as school takes precendence here and we still don't have a place to store the files and etc.
    • RE: Open Source

I'm up for that. Good point about the art - that's been my single biggest stumbling block so far -- I've played with DX enough to build a sprite engine, but then I spend forever trying to come up with some decent animations and lose heart.

Since I've never played a MUD, can you recommend a fun place to start? I have a slooow connection, so I've stayed offline pretty much.

thx
      pj

I'm still intrested if thats ok... I dont know DirectX, but if their is no DirectX than thats a good thing to start with. I've also got another friend who is intrested at working on this too...

I useually check the website every day, but if u want to contact me... Kaimera@wi.rr.com or: AIM: Beau964

I hope you'll still consider me for joining this.
      Wort wort wort.

Sure,

The more the marrier and the large the amount of work that can be accomplished. Like I mentioned before, please be patient for a few more weeks as I have finals coming up the week after Thanksgiving and will be swamped with school till then.

For those that never played a MUD you should give one a try to see what it entails.

Zmud is a shareware program that you can download for a 30 day evaluation period and you can use it to connect to any MUD out there and play for free.

Like I mentioned the plan is to start with a MUD move to a 2D Dungeon & Dragons style game, and then a 3D MMORPG style game. They are huge steps of course... but I think it will be fun.

Additionally, if anyone has time please brush up or start learning some network programming as one large part of MUDs and MMORPGs is interconnecting many players.

Nos

Originally posted by Nostrademous
      Additionally, if anyone has time please brush up or start learning some network programming as one large part of MUDs and MMORPGs is interconnecting many players.

Alright, thats awesome... anything u recomend to use as a source to learn networking?
      Wort wort wort.
    • Open source project

Not too familiar with the boards here, but this is a reply to that open source thread by Nos.

That is exactly what I am doing. I read through Mike's book, and bought myself the Games Programming GEMS series which are excellent books too, but twice the price of Mike's. 8o Anyway, what I am doing is I am creating a small game where I am focusing on the basic systems of the game, and once I have these basic systems running together smoothly, I will start working on the game itself.
      Basic systems include Area to Area (Portal to Portal) pathfinding using vectors, Sprite Animation handling class, my 2D graphics engine (fairly simple DirectDraw implementation) and everything else my project needs.
      I was thinking of creating a small project like you are thinking of doing (The whole text based MUD thing), but I realized that I don't really need to concentrate on making a game, I need to concentrate on innovating existing algorithms and coming up with my own to make a future game run smoother and better.
      Because of this approach, I have learned at an exponential rate, that coupled with my current level of education (from university) has allowed me to do some pretty cool things. (Got Mike's book open on my desk always too :) )

Anyways that just my opinion, and its working for me. Looking forward to seeing your game grow man, keep us updated.