Game Programming in Python

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game Programming in Python

[IMG:http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1584502584.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

Game Programming in Python

There's a new game programming book on the streets. This was written by a friend of mine that's been in the gaming industry for awhile and, like Mr. Mike, has actual shipped titles under his belt.

This book's directed at intermediate and above level programmers. It details ways of integrating a high level scripting language, Python, into a gaming project.

Python is a very simple language to learn and use. Hidden within its simplicity is its great flexibility. Within a few lines of code, much work can be accomplished. It's an excellent language for prototyping a system, allowing an individual to test game design ideas and programming patterns.

The book runs the gamut from game engine architecutures, game modes/states/levels, data driven design, procedurally generated content, UI, AI, 2d/3d rendering, collision systems, multiplayer server architecture, to a soup of other gaming technical terms.
    • Originally posted by Kain
      Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome.

I'm mulling over the idea of writing a couple of books myself.

One would be a series of books on bad programming styles in the spirit of Scott Meyer's "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++". (BTW, those books are must haves if you're a C++ programmer)

Anyhow, I'm thinking about writing books titled:

"Less Effective C++" and "Moderately Effective C++". I think that they would be hilarious! I'm sure I've written enough bad code to fill two volumes.

Another book idea I had recently: "Breaking Out of the Gaming Industry". Would be targeted at burnt-out game industry veterans wanting to get in other lines of work.

Tired of crunching over long hard hours?
      Tired of making little pay?
      Tired of seeing your game projects get cancelled at the last minute?
      Get out! And here's how to do it.

The gaming industry is like a roach motel, once you check-in...you can never check out. It's like you've been 'made' into a mafia family, "I tried getting out...but they kept draggin' me back in!!"

You go to an interview with a traditional enterprise development corporation, they see your resume and say, "Hey son! I see on your resume that you worked in the gaming industry! Why the hell would you want to work here? I've got guys on my team who would rather be doing that kinda work!"