6 month project "Done"!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 6 month project "Done"!

Hey Guys,

Over the past 6 months I have been working on a 2D game while at school for my term lab project, the engine is based on the GCC architecture and has been my main basis for learning engine design and game play programming while at school.

[IMG:http://i40.tinypic.com/c72bn.jpg]

This is Orbito, a physics based puzzle game where the player or players are required to use atoms and covalent bonds to create molecules, when these molecules can make no more bonds they are 'completed' and tallied up for a player score. The game development itself has tested my skills and patience in not only programming, but also managing a team and developing my skills as a musical artist, at the end of the project although satisfied to be finished with it, I feel like it is not 'done' and I could have made things so much better. However I feel about the project which I have a love/hate relationship with as it was not only my first game ever made but also the game that taught me what not to do in a game engine, I would like to share this with this community and especially with Rez and Mike, who have given constant advice, wisdom, and shared their valuable knowledge of making games countless times with us all, I hope someone finds this game fun and I would love to hear back from everyone one their thoughts. Also as I know that most of the community here is also relatively new to game development and I would hope that I could answer any questions on how I did a particular aspect of the game, or even what I felt I could have done better in areas.

Orbito
      1-4 players

Controls

Keyboard:
      Player 1:
      Move - Up, Down, Left, Right
      Fire - Enter

Player 2:
      Move - W, A, S, D
      Fire - F

Player 3:
      Move - I, J, K, L
      Fire - ;

Player 4:
      Move - Numpad: 8,4,5,6
      Fire - Numpad: +

All Players Joystick:
      Move - Thumbstick 0
      Fire - Button 0

The GUI isn't incredibly self explanatory, on the play screen each player is required to press their fire button, which will map them to keyboard or joystick.

The game was meant to play with joysticks but has the keyboard option as a fallback, you also may spot bugs, this is expected as it was only really 1 programmer and 1 artist, we had a few more people but they didn't pull their weight to the point that there is nothing in game of theirs, so if you spot something let me know and I will investigate it.

Orbito - Download

Post-Mortem
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 5 times, last by mholley519 ().

• Yes it was, it was a 2D game that we made as part of my video game design and development course.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Did the game run for you Hondero?
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • It ran on my laptop, too. The OS I use is Windows7.
      Your game looks quite well, especially considering this is your first game, I think that is quite an achievement.
      The soundtrack is also very nice IMHO.

While I had played it, my laptop crashed o_O
      I don´t think that is the game's fault, though something like this never happened before.... Well, at least it is still working :)

Anyway, congratulations!

Thanks for uploading the Post Mortem btw., i found it quite interesting :)
    • I showcase the game at school next Wednesday, so this feedback is nice to hear.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • When I run the "Orbito.exe" my monitor blink two times and windows shows this error window :
      [IMG:http://s24.postimg.org/apnxr5hmd/Untitled.jpg]
      In the "View problem details" section following text is shown :
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: Orbito.exe
      Application Version: 0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp: 51b51817
      Fault Module Name: Orbito.exe
      Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp: 51b51817
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 00068d71
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Hmm, that is strange, It is hard for me to know what the actual problem is, we only had a few test computers and without being able to debug the code I don't have enough information. I would try the following things

- Reinstall, if you installed into program files it shouldn't be a problem, but try a non-system directory
      - If you have switchable graphics, especially Nvidia, for some reason they don't have a good API for turning on the discrete graphics card with OpenGL, at least as far as I have found. Try to give Orbito an entry in your display drivers control panel
      - We have never actually tried the game on a 32 bit system, this shouldn't make any difference though as the game is built for 32 bit and the VC++ redistributable that is packaged with the game is 32 bit as well.
      - The game uses OpenGL rather than DirectX, this shouldn't be an issue though as Windows has long since resolved their 'sabotaged' OpenGL drivers from Vista

Unfortunately I have to move onto new projects so I don't have alot of time to work on this game anymore, If you keep trying to get it working let me know what the issue is though. Sorry you couldn't get the game running though.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I honestly haven't explored using debugging techniques like mini-dumps, and I don't know what map file you are referring to, is there a method visual studio has to determine which exception is being thrown?
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • There's a minidump class in GameCoding4's source code - just go grab it and read the debugging chapter to see how it works. You should be able to plug it straight into any Windows C++ project.

At least, I hope so!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Congratulations on finishing your project! I've said this a million times, but finishing a project is one of the most important things you can do to help break into the games industry. Nice job! :)

That having been said, since you asked for feedback, I will provide it. As always, my feedback is very direct and blunt, which is always how I prefer to receive it. Lot's of praise can be good, but it doesn't help you get better. ;)

The game suffers greatly from what I refer to as The Luigi Paradox, which can summed up by this video:
      youtube.com/watch?v=l9eeX2Lx1pE

Basically, I can get a reasonably high score by doing absolutely nothing (or almost nothing). I sat in one place hammering the fire button and never moved. I got pretty much the same score I got when I tried actually moving around and avoiding the black things and trying to build molecules.

The UI and graphics are generally pleasing.

I don't understand the actual game & puzzle. Am I trying to create real molecules? Is it a bit more fake where I'm just trying to match things? Is it somewhere in between like SpaceChem?

The controls feel bad on PC using a keyboard.

There doesn't seem to be any progression. I had my fill of the game after about five minutes of playing. There seemed to be no lose condition and nothing that progressed the difficulty of the game. On the contrary, the game seemed to get easier as I kept going because a number of mostly-finished molecules, so I kept getting sweeping victories.

I didn't get any errors and didn't notice any glaring bugs. I feel like it could have gone deeper, but most small-project games have that problem. I DO think that you honed in the core aspect of your game and iterated on it.

Hope that helps. Overall, this is extremely impressive for a first game. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. :D

By the way: This is exactly what every single one of you should be doing if you are serious about getting a job as a game developer. Make games.

-Rez
    • Thanks for the feedback, it hurts, but the truth is these are the exact same conclusions I came to myself, the game suffered alot from poor planning, it started as a story driven game, but once I realized that my team wasn't going to pull their weight I had to re-work things.

The molecule creation are all (mostly) theoretically possible as it works on basic covalency, however there are many different rules I didn't have time to bring in.

At the end of this game taking a step back, I know it could be alot better, and I hope to revisit the idea again some day.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Every single game in existence feels like that to the creators. My advice is to pull what you learned from this experience and move on to the next project. Let this game stand on its own and look to the future rather than the past.

-Rez