Jetbrains TeamCity and YouTrack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Jetbrains TeamCity and YouTrack

Hey Guys,

I have started to use this software set from JetBrains for my project management, thought everyone else would enjoy it to.

TeamCity is a browser based build management platform that allows you to set up a build server much like is discussed in the book, and allows you to also create multiple build 'agents' to carry out the task of building your software, which essentially can become a build farm like described for the Microsoft Office build process. The benefit for myself is that I have a new server setup at home that allows me to log in through the internet, and queue a build of the latest version on source control (Git in my case). The server will than ask the build agents to grab the latest code, do some tests, and than build the software, for me this allows me to have both a Linux and Windows build agent to run automatically, without me having to switch between OS's on my current computer. The tool is compatible with most major VCS's and supports multiple different toolsets ie. Java, C#, C++ on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and will in real time report the build process back to you, in my case the MSBuild command line output will be posted onto the TeamCity interface, once complete any artifacts ie. executables, will be posted onto the TeamCity interface to download.

YouTrack is an agile based project management tool that is similar to interfaces like 'Assembla', giving you team management, ticket tracking, and a web interface into your VCS. I love Assembla, but for a small team, the cost of hosting can be a setback on these servers, YouTrack lets you have a similar set up on your own server.

I hope this is useful for someone as it has been for me.

TeamCity
      YouTrack
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().

• Hello!

I didn't use TeamCity or YouTrack yet, but I use PHP IDE from JetBrains "PHPStorm". And it's greatest IDE I've ever use.
      Also if you use Java, try IntelliJ IDEA IDE from JetBrains.

And JetBrains recently talk about their future IDE for C++. And I hope, that it will be great.

JetBrains IDE's written in Java.
      Cons: it is not memory efficient and there memory leaks sometimes.
      Pros: they are cross-platform IDEs.

Oh! And also this IDEs significantly cheaper than Visual Studio.

The post was edited 2 times, last by andjey ().

• I like using Eclipse as it incorporates C++ and Java in one IDE, but it would be nice to see if Jetbrains could bring something else nice to use.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I've used Visual Studio for C++/C# work for years - but recently I've learned Eclipse for Java/Javascript/PHP work and just a few weeks ago JetBrains for Ruby.

I like JetBrains quite a bit - it seems friendlier and more intuitive than Eclipse. But then again that could be just as much due to Ruby than anything else!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Eclipse is a GREAT IDE, but having one centralized program for all languages can make if feel a bit cluttered, I use Eclipse CDT whenever I can, and it does feel somewhat like a C++ compiler dropped into a Java IDE, although it is still very nice to use.

My problem has always been, that even though I am naturally inclined to use Linux compatible software, Visual Studio in my opinion is the best C++ IDE out there, it's what happens when you have huge funding to polish a program, aside from the VC++ compiler (which I despise), its environment is great to use. Eclipse is the only IDE I have found that I can get close to the same workflow with, I hope that someone else, maybe JetBrains, can come up with a nice compiler which is C++ compatible, and would be supported on Linux.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Wow I spoke to soon, I looked into whether JetBrains were in the making of a C++ IDE, and apparently AppCode DOES support C++ and they are working on it more and more.

AppCode

Check out the features tab.

*EDIT*
      Sorry, it doesn't currently support it, but it is being worked on
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().

• We use Eclipse as our Python IDE here at Maxis. I still greatly prefer Visual Studio in nearly every way, but it's definitely better than most non-VS IDEs.

You just can't beat Visual Studio with Visual Assist (or Resharper if you're using C#) for ease of development. (Of course, every programmer has their own personal tastes, this is just mine).

-Rez
    • For the most part it is compatibility issues with G++, VC++ is not strict enough in some of its compiling rules, for instance

- Nested templates on the end of the type can have two '>' characters side by side, this is clearly a bit shift operator however VC++ allows it where G++ tells you to change it. ie. std::list<std::shared_ptr<MyClass>> should be ...<MyClass> >

- VC++ allows you to construct on object in a function parameter list as a non-constant reference ie.

Source Code

1. void SomeFunc(MyClass & a);
      2. SomeFunc(MyClass());
      3. //G++ requires this to be constant
      4. void SomeFunc(const MyClass & a);

I may be being a little asinine about this, but it was a big headache for me the first time I tried to port code to G++, VC++ could definitely add those rules to make it easier to be more compatible with different compilers (but Microsoft wouldn't want that would they), I am a big Microsoft griper though so that could be it to lol!
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • That's not Visual Studio, that's the vc compiler. They are two separate things. You can use Visual Studio with another compiler, like gcc or whatever your favorite one is.

There's also a setting that forces visual studio's compiler to follow strict ANSI standards, which will allow more cross-compiler compatibility (though most compilers aren't 100% strict so you'll never get away from it completely).

-Rez
    • Your right they are separate, Visual Studio is a great interface and it alone has been my reason for keeping Windows as something I use frequently, I am definitely going to look into setting it to meet ANSI standards, that has always been one of my pet peaves about VC++ thanks for the info.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Nice, so it is g++'s fault for not being up to date yet, thanks for that post.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I know lots of programmers that don't even go to work without a promise that Visual Assist will be there waiting for them....
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Speaking of IDE's- I've recently regained my interest in Lua and looked for an IDE. While there are plugins for Eclipse (which I haven't tested yet, but I will probably do that), I went for
      ZeroBrane IDE .
      It's a really nice IDE from what I've seen so far:
      It has all basic features, it should be relatively easy to use for LÖVE projects (which is another thing I might test sometime...), and
      it includes various versions of Lua (5.1, 5.2, LuaJit), which is great because it saved me a little bit of time since I didn't have to compile Lua 5.2 myself (because the Windows installer for some strange reason hasn't been updated to install Lua 5.2, and instead installs Lua 5.1).
      It's also available for free (of course, there are options to donate, but it's not mandatory).