GDC Meetup!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDC Meetup!

Hey guys,

GDC 2013 is in three weeks! I know a lot of you are going this year, so I thought I'd try to organize some sort of meetup. I also want to talk about a few things.

First off, several months ago, I said that if anyone was able to complete a game, I would look at it and provide feedback. I'm still happy to do that. I'll also look over your resume and/or portfolio and critique it. Keep in mind that this will be a professional-level critique, which means that I will be much more direct than I typically am here on the forums. Ask Kaykry, he's been on the receiving end of those. If you'd like to schedule some time, let me know via PM.

Second, Mike and I always have some kind of get-together during GDC, usually dinner on Thursday, where we invite a bunch of random people. You are all invited. We'll figure out what we're doing sometime later, probably about 10 minutes before we actually head out there. That's usually how it works.

Third, if you're not interested in the first two things but still want to meet up, let me know. :)

Finally, I'm sure if you bring your copy of Game Coding Complete, you can probably convince Mike and I to sign it. ;)

So yeah, send me a PM if you want to meet up. We'll figure out the logistics of it all in the next couple of weeks.

-Rez
    • Man now I regret not going, next year though for sure!
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Dont worry mholley we are on the same boat. I wanted to go but apparently my Army career is priority( according to them anyways). Next year for sure though!

PS. The worst part is that Im only about two hours away from SF.
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 1 time, last by hondero ().

• I'll be there Rez! I'll send a PM as well, but I do have a question that may benefit some of the other people that are attending.

I have an online portfolio that contains a link my downloadable resume, as well as project information and the like. I had the though that maybe it would be easier to just print out something simple like a set business cards that I could take to GDC, that just had my contact information and a link to my portfolio.
      Do you think that would an acceptable alternative to printing out a huge stack of Resumes?

Or maybe's its better to have the Resume for on the spot job discussion...

Any other advice about what to take to the career fair would be helpful too. I will be taking my laptop, so I will have access to my projects and code to show off. I also assume they won't be expecting us to dress in a suit and tie, but how casual would you suggest we dress?

Thanks in advance!
    • Originally posted by Kl1X
      I have an online portfolio that contains a link my downloadable resume, as well as project information and the like. I had the though that maybe it would be easier to just print out something simple like a set business cards that I could take to GDC, that just had my contact information and a link to my portfolio.
      Do you think that would an acceptable alternative to printing out a huge stack of Resumes?

No, you want to have a stack of resumes. Business cards are also good, but they aren't enough. At the end of a long week, most companies will walk away with tons of business cards and not know where most of them came from. If you're trying to get a job, you definitely want a physical resume to give them.

Any other advice about what to take to the career fair would be helpful too. I will be taking my laptop, so I will have access to my projects and code to show off.

Perfect! Your resume to hand off, business cards for non-job contacts, and a laptop with your (offline) portfolio and projects should be everything you need.

I also assume they won't be expecting us to dress in a suit and tie, but how casual would you suggest we dress?

For the most part, you can dress however you want. I wouldn't show up wearing a bikini, but t-shirt & jeans are fine. I wear my normal, everyday clothes to job interviews. This is the games industry; we don't really care what you look like. :)

-Rez
    • Originally posted by Trinak
      what should we call you at the conference? David, Rez, Mr. Graham, Awesome GCC Author Dude?

Hahahah! I go by Rez in person. That's what it says on my business card. ;)

-Rez
    • Only one week left until GDC! I'm about to email everyone who's sent me of a PM over the last few weeks with details so if you're going to GDC, haven't emailed me, and want to meet up, send me a message! I soubt I'll be checking the forums much during that week.

-Rez
    • Thanks to everyone who participated in the meetup on Thursday! It was great to meet you all in person! For those who missed it, we'll try and do another next year. :)

-Rez
    • That was a blast. Was great relaxing and chatting (plus I got the book signed). On a related note, I was wondering how does GDC work when you're at a company (thinking more AAA than indie). I assume it's rare for the company to buy the badge for you, but do they normally allow for time off for most in the company who would like to go? Is it considered vacation time? Call out sick?
    • Most companies I've worked for will buy a few passes and share them. People sign up for the sessions they want. If you want your own, you have to buy it. Most companies don't require you to spend vacation time either.

-Rez
    • Originally posted by kaykry
      And now you have a face to put along with my long-winded, raging posts. :)

But I already had a face to put on it: your old avatar :-P.

I really enjoyed meeting everybody! GDC was a great experience, and I learned a lot. More importantly, I feel like I've gotten a much better grasp on what it's going to take for me to break into the industry now.
    • Based on my experiences this year, let me recommend the Best Western Americania. It was I think $120/night, and it was a 10 min walk away, nothing sketchy. Only issue was we were in the back corner of the hotel so our WiFi signal was usually so weak it didn't work.

Oh and of course, it was nice to meet all of you.

James
    • I honestly have no idea, I've never been to any GDC outside of the main one here in SF. It'll be smaller for sure. I'd imagine that they mostly cater to companies out in the UK, so it's probably good from a find-a-job point of view, but I have no idea what kinds of talks they do.

-Rez