MS Update Broke Teapot Wars

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MS Update Broke Teapot Wars

Just thought I'd post this here as I spent a good while trying to figure out what was going on as Teapot Wars was working fine 2 days ago. This update for Windows 7 and 8 causes 4 DLL's to be incompatible. The fix requires you to download the Windows 8 SDK, VS 2012, or Remote Tools for VS 2012 (as noted in the link).

I just downloaded the Windows 8 SDK to update the files. Before that when trying to run the program I would get a "Failed to create Direct3d Device" error. I'm on Windows 7, using VS 2010, and the DirectX June SDK in case that info helps anyone.

While this update has made it so that I can run Teapot Wars again, there are two bugs I've found:
      1) All UI elements are gone (the radio buttons, sliders, boxes, quit box, etc).
      2) Dragging the window from one monitor to another causes a "Direct3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects were not released" error.

As I didn't fully test the app before it broke I can't say if the second bug was present before the update though.
    • RE: MS Update Broke Teapot Wars

Lame. Way to break our stuff, Microsoft.

Thanks for finding this and posting the fix. I haven't noticed any issues so I assume this is an optional update for Windows 7?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure #2 was broken prior to the update.

-Rez