3D Lighting Book

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 3D Lighting Book

Hey guys, I wanted to see if anybody knew of a good book that goes in depth about the details of implementing lighting in 3D games.

I haven't really found anything that I liked, I've found good material on the basics but I want to find ways to improve my engine's Lighting performance.

Thanks in advance!
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w
    • The only thing I have read that discusses lighting is the game institutes 3D graphics courses, the first book covers lighting quite well I found, of course it's not lighting specific.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • This unpublished book by Wolfgan Engel, et al. Provides a good source of information about lighting theory and practical implementation...

The book not only covers the simple Blinn-Phong but other advanced BRDF models as well such as Cook-Torrance, Oren Nayar, Ashikhim Shirley and more.

These complex BRDFs are based on physical principles or what we're calling as physically based rendering. I don't know much about these stuff but this is one of the topics i'm interested in looking into in the near future.

There's a whole lot of research going on in this field right now. Tri-Ace released a tech demo of their physically based rendering engine in 2011.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6cuXgRVMvZ0

BOOK: content.gpwiki.org/index.php/D3DBook:Book_Cover

The post was edited 1 time, last by BrentChua ().

• Actually, I should've been more specific on this. I've found material on Lighting(basic to somewhat advanced), but the truth is, I'm looking for material on implementing volumetric Lighting.

Sorry for the confusion!
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w