Do i need experience?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do i need experience?

Hi all,

Im new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place or a repost.

Im thinking about getting Game Coding Complete 4th edition but i only have basic knowledge of c++, java and c#. Would this book still be worth getting and if so does it go through when to make new classes or how to join everything in the game together?

By the way, I have learned how to program games in C# XNA framework if that helps?

Thanks hope someone can help :)
    • RE: Do i need experience?

The book is really an architecture book, so its lessons should apply to pretty much any language. Most of the C++ we use is pretty basic, and we try to explain the stuff that isn't. You don't have to be an expert, but you should be comfortable with basic C++ concepts like classes, inheritance, polymorphism (virtual functions), scoping, pointers, etc.

-Rez
    • RE: Do i need experience?

Like I said, you should be comfortable writing and reading basic C++ code. This includes classes, inheritance, virtual functions, pointers, and a bit of the STL.

You don't need to know anything about Lua. The Lua chapter covers the language in detail.

-Rez