How does this book work?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How does this book work?

I just picked up a copy of this book but haven't cracked it open yet as I am at work testing cell phone games. My question is, as a Computer Science major in college with a strong background in C++ can this book take me from general C++ to building a basic game engine?
      Building a game and going crazy... same thing.
    • RE: How does this book work?

I think personally that the book gives you a darn good idea of how to at least start or go about starting a game engine. The code provided while not a complete engine gets you going in the right direction. The book also talks about the game development process and certain skills and processes to use. I think it's a must have for any aspiring game programmer.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DaveG ().

• This book does provide a lot of information that most other gaming books leave out, like resource management. Most books I have read just focus on an API and show you how to code the prettiest triangle you have ever seen, while completely ignoring how to put it all together.

I think that you could put together a very basic engine using Game Coding Complete and the DirectX SDK. Just don't expect to make anything good :P
    • Unless, of course, you are a hardcore breakout fan...
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot