Problems with Teapot wars

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Problems with Teapot wars

Well, i got it to compile, finally :)

1) Full screen toggle crashes.. I tried installing some random DX sample projects from the DX sample browser and the full screen toggle works fine on all of them.

2) My teapot doesn't move. AI doesnt move.
      Although i see the AI jittering. If i shoot while holding one of the WASD keys I move briefly. As far as i can tell, the projectile moves completly fine without any jitter. Music is not playing..
      After about 30 seconds, sound starts playing and the game seems to speed up. I can barely control my teapot now because it accells too fast. There is a pretty cool Doppler effect on the sound while the game is accelerating however. :)

Core 17-2600k 3.4ghz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
      ASUS P8Z68-V
      16g ram
      Windows 8
    • This sounds like possibly a framerate issue. I noticed during development that there were a some issues with the physics engine whenever the framerate dropped too low. The AI likely isn't responding because it can't actually put forth enough of an impulse to move to the appropriate place. The same is probably true of the player. Once you get past that initial friction, it becomes easier.

What framerate are you getting? If you set a breakpoint in BulletPhysics::VOnUpdate(), what's the typical value for deltaSeconds? I'm getting 0.055 on average.

If it's a friction thing, you can try changing the physical material of the teapots as well.

(Also, as a sanity check, I did build & run the latest version of the game and it's working fine on my desktop and laptop).

-Rez
    • ~170 in the main menu
      ~50 during the game with nothing going on
      ~35 with lots of projectiles on the field

Well, the earlier problems were on Release build. In debug, the game seems playable. Not sure what i did, it took me like 5 hours to build it at all so don't really feel like trying to fix it. I should have tried both builds before making a post.

There some other errors, like \n showing up in text instead of new lines.

Pressing ESC to get the little menu asking to quit displays the text way outside the drawn box.
      Guessing that's not intended.

The music still starts like 10-15 seconds after starting a match, is there a long lead in to this sound file or is that not intended?

In debug mode, the delta on the physics update call was 0.11~ on average.

I pretty curious of how many of these problems are Win 8 related. I'll try the game on win 7 laptop tonight or tmrw.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Amnesty ().

• Ooohhhhh, Windows 8? The game is completely untested on Windows 8 so I'm interested to see what your Win 7 test reveals.

I haven't tried release in a while, I'll give it a shot in a bit. It's possible that release is broken. If it is, we'll try to figure out a fix.

The text showing outside of the box is likely a missing font. I don't see that on my computers, but it's possible that we need to use a more generic font.

-Rez
    • Yeah I don't even have a box with Windows 8 to test....perhaps someone else on the forums has Win8 and can comment on it. I'll post a new thread and maybe someone will respond.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I experience the same font issue on windows 7 vs2010. I traced it down to a DXUT function a while ago, but I don't remember exactly what the issue was. I never fixed it, but I stopped worrying about it since i've dropped DXUT for all my projects.
    • I compiled it on Windows 8 (vs2012) and I also have the \n that are displaying. Text do appear inside the box. Game crash on full screen, but there is also the same error when I quit the game in windowed mode. Music have a 10sec delay when I start the game but it is playable.
      MCSE/MCDBA/Programmer C,C++,PERL,PHP
    • The 10 second delay is probably the fade-in process, which is as designed (although 10 seconds seems a bit long). Is the music fading in, or just snapping to full volume? If it's snapping, there's probably an issue with the sound code on Windows 8.

-Rez
    • Originally posted by rezination
      The 10 second delay is probably the fade-in process, which is as designed (although 10 seconds seems a bit long). Is the music fading in, or just snapping to full volume? If it's snapping, there's probably an issue with the sound code on Windows 8.

-Rez

it does fade-in slowly.. I didn't time it, so it felt like 10 sec but could have been 5! :)
      MCSE/MCDBA/Programmer C,C++,PERL,PHP