MS VS files organisation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MS VS files organizing

Hello!

I'm novice to VS, 'cause I'm web-developer and work with IDE's like Eclipse, NetBeans and so on. And I used to the fact that my source files hierarchy almost the same as OS file-system hierarchy. But VS use more complicated way to manage files - filters and links. But this is not comfortably sometimes.

But in your project GCC4 solution files stored separately from another source code. And, despite the fact that anothrer source files directories are one level higher than solution directory,in VS it shows as if all this files (and directories) were in the solutions directory.

How did tou do that?
      And if this is just a filters and links, how do you manage physical files (delete them, move, rename and so on)?

The post was edited 2 times, last by andjey ().

• In visual studio, the folders you see are just filters. It decouples the layout on the hard drive from the logical layout. On my personal projects, I use the same mapping so that BleachUtils/Memory/MemoryPool.h will be in that same place on the hard drive. You don't have to though.

Do delete files, just highlight them in the IDE and hit delete. You'll get an option asking if you want to delete them from your hard drive or if you just want to remove them from the project.

-Rez
    • You mean, if you want to add new file, you create it in the file-system, and then add it to the source-control system and to the VS project?

And what about refactoring? Renaming of the file, for example. I should synchronize file name and it's link in VS manually? It's a lot of work to do...
    • In visual studio, you may delete, rename, and move files within the IDE which will properly manage the filter's of your project, however if you delete a file, rename it, or move it in your file explorer, the filters will not update the file 'link'.

I think this is one of the things I actually don't like about visual studio, and it doesn't even have a recursive add option which will copy your local folder structure. Yes its frustrating, but unless you are ready to make the change to another IDE, your stuck with it.

By the way, Eclipse works just fine with C++, with the CDT plugin. I am actually planning on migrating to it as I can synchronize with my linux builds better that way.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().