I'm no stranger to harsh reviews, but this?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm no stranger to harsh reviews, but this?

Our first one-star review on Amazon.com!

amazon.com/review/R26HL3UFIBQR…74&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I'm not sure why this book is so highly rated. It's a smattering of mostly useless information which does little to help one actually program games. It reads like a compilation of blog articles rather than a thoughtful and well organized progression of information. This was a true waste of money.

I must admit, that commentary left me scratching my head.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Wow, how someone could ever get that from GCC leaves me confused as well...were you a bully in grade school? Maybe an old grudge lol
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I was mostly the guy on the receiving end of being bullied. There was this one guy in 8th grade though - he ended up punching me in the face and broke my glasses, so I kinda figured we were even!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Well I am left clueless then, I recommend the book as the best start to engine programming to all of my peers, oh well, can't please everyone.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • RE: I'm no stranger to harsh reviews, but this?

Maybe we should have copied & pasted more DirectX documentation. ;)

-Rez
    • no.....oh please no
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • That's just silly. I downrated the review. I'm sure you don't "need" to hear it, but I'll say it anyway: y'all's book is amazing. That person is a clown. Tomorrow afternoon I'll make a review of the book (5 stars of course! Complete with words and all!). Looks like they wanted to jump from programming 101 to coding full fledged game engines without any effort involved (1 week before that review they gave 5 stars to introductory C++ book?).

Edit: some needed cleaning up of my post. Let's just say people shouldn't be posting on forums at 4am ...

The post was edited 1 time, last by geshi ().

• Don't put much thought to it Mr. Mike. There are multiple forum (mainly college networks) that get a kick out of "hiring" student to post negative reviews on books.

The outstanding reviews obviously outweigh this one, so it's clear it's not legit.

I begin each new year learning something new and this year is new programming skills. When I mentioned game programming, your book was highly recommended.

When I can get the $$ together, I will be getting a copy.

But again, don't sweat this one, it's obviously a prank review. Someone was "hired" to do a bunch of negative reviews on a bunch of books and your book link was one provided. I just don't get what it accomplishes except for irritating the author.