Gdc 2013

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey guys,

It's the end of one year and the beginning the another. This is the time of year when people from all walks of life come up with goals and desires they hope to achieve for the next year. My sense from reading the posts over the last year is that for many of you, it involves wanting to take your skills to the next level. GDC is one of the best ways to do this. You'll meet developers from all around the world, listen to speeches given by the best and brightest, and see the latest tech. There's an entire section dedicated to companies who are recruiting, so bring your resume and a laptop with your demo games. For me, one of the most important things GDC does is invigorates me and fuels my passion. You'll be surrounded by literally thousands of people who are just as passionate as you. If you're at all serious about joining the games industry, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Okay, enough with the commercial. ;) If you plan to go to GDC this year, you should make preparations and book everything now. You have until Feb to buy your ticket at the reduced price, but the hotels in downtown SF tend to fill up in early January. If you wait until Feb, you might not be able to find a room.

Mike and I will both be at GDC this year. We usually do some kind of meetup for food & drinks, so let me know if you're going and want to meet up.

-Rez

PS: GDC puts on events and conferences all over the world, so if you're outside of North America, you should check out GDC Europe or GDC China, whichever is appropriate.
    • I was just talking with my wife this year, I think I am going to wait until next year to go so i can be more prepared for the cost and have less school to worry about.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • December of next year, our last term is also quite a bit slower paced aside from working full time on a 3D game, our school actually allows you to do make up test/projects if you go to GDC which is cool, I just wasnt prepared to go this year (no passport, not enough money etc)
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • That's probably perfect then. Next year you will have graduated and should have your resume in order. You can wrap up any projects and present yourself as a new grad. :)

-Rez
    • Is there a slight chance that you show up at the GDC in germany?

Last year i somehow managed to miss the GDC and was totaly surprised when i went to the gamescom and saw the GDC posters and banners all over the place.

I will definitely try to attend to GDC in cologne this year!
    • Not really, it's pretty small compared to the main GDC conference in San Francisco. It's not worth the price for what I'd be getting. :-/

There's a slight chance I'll be going to GDC Online though, which takes place in Austin sometime in the Fall.

-Rez
    • I'm going to be attending! I'm working out the details right now.

I'm planning on getting the Main Conference Pass (I recall Rez suggesting that one), should I plan to be there for the whole conference (e.g. 25-29)? I'm a little confused on when stuff actually starts. It seems like the conference really picks up on Wednesday the 27th. The GDC website mentions, "All one-day and two-day sponsored developer days (Mon & Tues)," under the Main Conference Pass.

On a similar note, are there any post-conference events worth sticking around for on Friday night?
    • I'm not sure what the sponsored developer events are, I'm guessing it's large vendors trying to sell you stuff. The main conference is Wed - Fri, so you can safely skip Mon & Tue if you're getting the main conference pass.

The AI Game Programmer's Dinner is on Friday, which is usually a lot of fun, but most of the after-conference events are on Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday is usually the booth crawl where the expo stays open later and they serve drinks. Thursday is usually Suite Night where various companies throw their big parties. A lot of people fly out Friday night, so I don't think there are any GDC-run events.

-Rez
    • I'll definitely be at GDC this year - as I'm making my first GDC presentation (a 60-minute lecture) since 2010. It is a bit of a producer talk, but still somewhat cool since it analyzes change velocity on projects to predict interesting things about their future.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Originally posted by mrmike
      I'll definitely be at GDC this year - as I'm making my first GDC presentation (a 60-minute lecture) since 2010. It is a bit of a producer talk, but still somewhat cool since it analyzes change velocity on projects to predict interesting things about their future.

Do you know when your talk will be? I'm really interested to hear any talks you and Rez are planning to give! I'm still a little confused if Rez is giving a talk this year. He seemed a little up in the air about it when he discussed it a couple months ago.

P.S. My hotel and conference pass are booked. I'm super excited!!!
    • I don't think I'll be speaking this year. There is a chance I'll be on a panel about the future of AI, but that would be during the AI summit rather than the main conference.

Those of you who are trying to get into the games industry should do everything in your power to have a demo ready by GDC. That's often the make-or-break component to your resume when looking for an entry level position. I'm happy to help out in that regard. :)

-Rez