On lost Device....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• On lost Device....

I was wondering what happens when the device is lost in direct x 11(either DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED ). More specifically what happens with all the stuff you created with that device, i.e. Shaders, Buffers, and so on? Do you have to recreate them?

Also, it would be good if whom ever answers can point me to some documentation where I can read about it.

Thanks in advance.
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 1 time, last by hondero ().

• Typically when a 'Device' is lost all of the associated textures, buffers, etc. are also lost in the process, this is definitely true on OpenGL as the 'Context' contains all of these things, and when it is lost, releases those objects. I Imagine in direct3D it is the same thing, when you lose a handle to the device that created those things, would it even work to use them even if they weren't released?

Those things almost all live on the GPU memory and I imagine has some sort of garbage collecting that happens when a device is lost.

*Edit*

I don't know a ton about Direct3D , but as you haven't had an answer yet, I thought this would be good enough. As for the references, google should be more than enough, Microsoft is fairly good at documenting there API's.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().

• RE: On lost Device....

DirectX 11 doesn't have the concept of a lost device like Direct3D 9 and below did, so you don't have to deal with it like you did in those previous versions.

Here's the MSDN page for those error codes, which explains what they are and how you should respond:
      msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libra…b509553%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

-Rez