Trials of a Wannabe Programmer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trials of a Wannabe Programmer

Hello everyone,

I bought this book with the hopes of starting down the path of game coding. While the book is very informative and entertaining, I've come to the sad realization that my skills are not where they need to be. Much of my coding experience is in Java and as such I lack knowledge in the area of memory management and C syntax. While I see this as nothing but a bump in the long road that awaits me, I can't help but ask for your guidance how to approach this.

I am currently working through: learncpp.com to get a feel for the syntax.

While the above site is a basic resource, is there particular book that I should follow that up with? Your book offers many recommendations. I was thinking going with "Modern C++ Design: Applied Generic and Design Patterns" by Andrei Alexandrescu.

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks :D
    • Well, I actually think that book is more of an intermediate C++ book. I would suggest you start with some like C++ primer plus.
      amazon.com/Primer-Plus-6th-Developers-Library/dp/0321776402/

While this book is a very big book, if you can make it through it you will definitely feel more confident on your c++ skills.

After that I would say read a 3D Programming book like Frank De Lunas Intro to DX11, or any other that has good explanations on the math side of 3d programming.

And last but not least, go make a game. Nothing like creating your first couple crappy games to get started!

PS->Crappy = not well programmed; //LoL
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w

The post was edited 1 time, last by hondero ().

• When your c++ skills get better you could read c++ gor game programmers by michael Dickheiser. I really liked that book, and I think is full of good advice( and inspirational somewhat)!
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w
    • Since Robert LaFore is no longer generating books, I feel the Primer Plus books might be the best book for the general public learning C++ for the first time. I read Lafore's book and a version of Primer Plus (C and C++) years ago.

I am currently using Horton's VC++ book because I knew C++ quite well and just need a memory jogger, but knew little about Visual Studio. I briefly looked at reviews of other Visual Studio books and found Horton's book was not a bad choice.

Given how much I have mentioned his book in recent posts I should indicate that I am not related to Horton. For me it is a way to kill two birds (C++ review and learn VS2K12) with one stone.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ndotl ().

• Alexandrescu's is a fantastic book but not something I would recommend for learning C++.

The best book for migrating to C++ from java and/or C is Exploring C++: The Programmer's Introduction to C++ by Ray Lischner which is great as it starts out with small programs you can rapidly implement which are geared readers coming from a different language. His writing style is also less formal and more conversational which is easier to follow.

It's useful to have Stroustrup's tome that you can reference while going through Lischner's for more detailed explanations of language features in addition to getting used to using Stroustrup's as a reference which you'll be doing for your forseeable future if you continue to program in C++ (and I therefore suggest getting the hard cover).

Once you've gone through most of Lischner's and feel comfortable with C++ you should immediately start on Scott Meyer's Effective C++ followed by More Effective C++ and finally Effective STL .

In addition to Alexandrescu's book you mentioned, another book worth reading is Large Scale C++ Software Design by Lakos.
    • I unfortunately have to retract my 'recommendation' of Horton's VC++ book. It helped me learn my way around Visual Studio, but that was chapters 1 and 2. It does not appear to delve into new Visual Studio functionality until chapter 11. However, the other reason is it is a somewhat painful learning experience. The early coverage is somewhat shallow. It might get better, but I cannot afford to wait. I am now forced to pick up the primer plus book. I am posting this to try to ensure I did not lead anyone down the wrong path.