When Should I start using the code the books says?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When Should I start using the code the books says?

My book just got to me today!! What I am asking is what chapter or part in the book should I start writing down the code that they tell me because from what I believe in the end I will have some sort of game engine that I can go off of with the code that I would have if I am correct. If anyone could help me out with this that would be great!
    • RE: When Should I start using the code the books says?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you proposing copying the code from the book? Because I wouldn't recommend that at all since you can just download it. ;)

The way I would advise that you use the book is to download the entire source code from our SVN repository, get it to build, and play the game a little. Then you can browse a couple source files that seem interesting. Once you finish that, read the book and follow along with the code. You can run it and set breakpoints to understand the flow, analyze the updates we've made post-launch, and see how it all fits together.

Of course, many people (including myself) learn by doing, so if you find it better to actually implement your own engine based on ours while going through the book, then go for it. I would still recommend having our code handy as a reference though.

-Rez