Will The Source Code compile on VC6

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will The Source Code compile on VC6

should there be any major modifications to the code if I compile using VC6?!?

I have .NET available at school.. but it is the hugest pain to get into b/c the IT department did not do the installation correctly

usually have to turn off the computer to be able to run .NET :(
      Bakka mitai!!!
    • The worst part of getting the source code compiling in VC6 is setting all the directories up right - something that (I hope) is explained in the book...

There's nothing in there that is .NET specific. No C#. Not yet, anyway....

Hey if you get VC6 dsw and dsp files for the source code, please send them as attachments on a reply to this thread, ok???

I'd do it myself - but I don't have a copy of VC6 hanging about...
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • It does not compile as it is at the school on VS 6
      there is a headerfile that starts with atl that is .net dependant..

other problem is that there is no dx sdk's installed here..

I would install them at home .... but... i am on a wireless connection in a house with 4 cellphones and 3 cordless phones... so my internet connection is usually iffy... at best...

When I find a better antennae for my wireless router ill download dx9.. and try to find that header and give it a whirl again
      Bakka mitai!!!
    • Uh - which header file is giving you trouble?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Missing headers on VC6

The first files it hangs up on are atltypes.h and atltypes.inl, neither of which is present under VC6.
      "C'mon, you can't show the player a giant bomb and then not let him blow it up."
      - Gabe Newell, Valve
    • inl == inline

Yep, .inl files contain inline functions. In C++ any function you want inlined has to be declared in the header file so that it can be seen by other components. That clashes with the idea that the header file should only contain the interface.
      As a compromise many C++ programmers collect inline functions in a .inl file, which is then included in the header file.That means that every package has three files: .h, .inl and .cpp.
      pan narrans
    • RE: What an informative day

For small personal projects its not necessary: it just complicates things. For larger projects with many people working on them it can be helpful to make the header files much smaller and only contain the interface.
      I'm using them on my latest project, which is quite large, but I didn't do it on my first few projects. I'm also starting to seperate everything into libraries like we discussed in your other thread.
      pan narrans
    • RE: What an informative day

i thought it might be worth it to do it just to get into the habit..

Just like right now at the level im working at i dont
      *need* to develope my own library's. I just thought that it might be something that is good to get into the habit of doing
      Bakka mitai!!!
    • Another missing file...

The next problem I'm hitting is that MiniDump.h is looking for a header called dbghelp.h, which doesn't seem to exist in a VC++ 6 installation.

I've got to say I'm a bit surprised...I can't help but think that there are far more beginning programmers who need this book who have (or can get) VC++ 6 than there are programmers who have access to Visual Studio .NET, which still retails for several hundred dollars.
      "C'mon, you can't show the player a giant bomb and then not let him blow it up."
      - Gabe Newell, Valve
    • If they are copyrighted by Microsoft, then yes, definitely.
      - Gabe Newell, Valve