Programming in your sleep?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Programming in your sleep?

It's been awhile but I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has done this!

I was working on my web based game and I was trying to implement a level up feature for either doing a quest or successfully attacking another player and gaining experience. I had worked on a few prototypes for a few hours and tried to implement the code into my existing base. But after many attempts I would end up with a bunch of bugs where it was very iffy.

I went to bed early and had nearly all night continued to work in my sleep, I was able to fix the code that was causing the issues, and implement a few other systems that I had planned to do. I woke up and rushed over to the computer and typed everything out. I didn't fully dream of code all night, but most of it was code, and the rest was like having a meeting where things that would be interesting to add were discussed.

Maybe I had some help from an extraterrestrial life form, but it's happened on more than 1 occasion and I wake up feeling really buzzed afterwards.

Please share your experiences!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • Thats funny, I have had times where I am struggling with a particular problem, and then at the wierdest moment, like getting groceries, it clicks and I solved the problem, then coming home to check it and *bam* it works.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Your brain spins up a background thread to continue processing things while your main thread continues with day to day life. ;)

-Rez
    • RE: Programming in your sleep?

Originally posted by Gaddam
      It's been awhile but I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has done this!...
      Please share your experiences!

I had almost the same experience only when i woke up and thought about how i solved my AI problems i realized how ridiculously unfathomable it was and it didn't made any sense at all. It made me very very depressed that day. And the next following days after because i was having the exact same dream for about 2 weeks... Ah... good memories..

The post was edited 1 time, last by BrentChua ().

• Man those dreams suck, I used to dream that I had an N64, all my friends had one while we still had a sega genesis. Then I woke up ... and had to play Sonic the Hedgehog.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Even though this is an old thread I thought I would reply to the posted:

"Your brain spins up a background thread to continue processing things while your main thread continues with day to day life."

I have experienced the condition for years, and first noticed it when I was in grad school. It got to the point where I kept a notepad on the nightstand to make sure I wrote things down. I have actually also read about it, and from what I have gathered the brain is still making connections when you are slipping. Some of those connections lead to a eureka moment, even while you are sleeping. In fact, I had a professor explain that this is why you want to read and study up on a new assignment as soon as possible. Even if you are not actively working on it, your brain will. For those who are thinking, "rubbish", here is a link to an article that discusses it. I am sure many others exist:

youbeauty.com/sleep/sleep-affects-body

The article states:

"Sleep allows the creative parts of the brain to strengthen and grow so that they'll be fully developed when situations arise to use them during the day. You also need sleep so that you can give your vision (which is actually cognitive activity) a rest. Sleep allows your brain to process information and store it in your memory."

As opposed to '2 cents worth', this might be worth a nickle.
    • Like this?

This happens a lot to me... I sit at my desk a full day thinking about a problem and trying to find a solution. When i get up at the end of a day or if i go out or do something else the solution or a part of it often comes... But as my mind is a sardistic bastard, if i do not instantly write it down it often is gone when i get back to work... So i always keep a little notebook and a pen in my pocket to write down at least a few cryptic words... (To avoid this)

And when one of this notebooks is full its always fun to read through those things... And there realy are things that my childish humor finds entertaining... On several occasions i just wrote "size matters" with different numbers of emphasis marks after it on a page... :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by sebastianp ().