Creating a Game Project

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Creating a Game Project

I've taken the time over the past few weeks and have written everything for a game, story, systems, content, and much more. I've also been working on the book GCC4 and have made progress, but where I'm lost is creating the project in VS2010 from scratch.

Last night I dabbled about and copied options that are discussed in the book by mrmike, I created the directory structure, moved the GCC4 directory into the correct place, then proceeded to create a new VS project.

My intent is to write teapotwars while looking over at it on the other monitor, this I feel will help me start to remember all of the different engine functions.

So I added a new project and created a codename for it.. nothing special but bunnyhopper is going to be fun lol. I had to do some switching with VS2010 as Mike suggested in the book to separate things nicely, what a big difference that actually makes btw!!! :)

Directory Structure:

bunnyhopper
      - assets
      * actors
      * art
      * audio
      * config
      * editor
      * effects
      * scripts
      * strings
      * world
      - extra
      * bunnydemo
      - game
      * assets
      * UI
      - source
      * GCC4
      * Lib
      * bunnyeditor
      * bunnyhopper
      -* Msvc
      * Temp

In visual studio I created a new Win32 project gave it a name, made it an empty project. I laid out all of the files that TPW has, and then I set the project defaults as suggested in the book. I added GameCode4_2010 solution to the solution as well, then made sure the build options had been set to build GCC4 first then bunnyhoppers. I even compared every option under the project options from TPW to the one I'm copying and made sure all the values had been correctly assigned.

The issue arises that it's not finding all the wonderful base classes that GCC4 has to offer, so while typing out code it's giving me those wonderful red lines that tell me what's wrong. What did I not do correctly? Is there a better way to start a project and use the engine?

I feel the way I've gone about it will leave every game project created with a clone of the engine in every single project folder.

Edit: I was too quick to judge the red lines the issue was me. I was able to build the app again from the ground up, but please feel free to comment about the above post as I'm always open for input and to better myself.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gaddam ().

• RE: Creating a Game Project

Originally posted by Gaddam
      I feel the way I've gone about it will leave every game project created with a clone of the engine in every single project folder.

The way I structure things is that I have two totally separate folders for the engine and the game. All of my game projects use the same engine source, which means if I fix something in the engine, it gets fixed for all games. The down side here is that if I refactor something in the engine in a way that changes an interface, I have to make code changes to fix it on my other projects. I get around this by branching my engine, though it can still cause me trouble. I find that the benefits outweigh the hindrances.

-Rez