Getting into gaming--Valve's tips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Getting into gaming--Valve's tips

I just saw watched this video on youtube: youtube.com/watch?v=tdwzvdZFxVM

It's Chet Faliszek of Valve talking about how to break into the video game industry. It's nominally a 45 minute video, however the first 2:45 minutes are a movie trailer, and the last 20 minutes or so is Q&A (which isn't particularly enlightening). So the talk is only about 25ish minutes long. I personally feel like it's worth watching. There isn't much new information in the talk that Rez and MrMike don't say on a near daily basis. I guess for Chet, he adds a second step to the "just make something" bit: ship it (e.g. release it publicly).

Bottom line of the video is: make *something* and ship it. I just found it nice to hear Rez and MrMike's comments so resoundingly resonating through other people in the industry. Anyway, I hope somebody enjoys it! :)
    • I would generally agree with his "ship it" advice. The key is not just making something, but seeing it to completion. I want to see something with a main menu, UI, completed gameplay, etc. Releasing something to the public forces you to do all that.

It also forces you to get art and integrate it into your game. Personally, I don't really care about the art. You could show me a game that was all boxes and triangles and it would be just fine, as long as it demonstrated your programming prowess. Still, there's something to be said about figuring out a pipeline.

-Rez