.NET or 6

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello,
      I am just sending out a message to programmers who have used VS.net and VS 6

and if you notice any change in performance between the 2...

My thoughts on the matter is that .net MUST be slower then 6 cuz it seems to compile to a VM(eerily like java)

Am i correct in what I am assuming.. or am i just on crack?!?
      Bakka mitai!!!
    • VS.NET is capable of producing both Microsoft's Intermediate Language (IL) code, which is exclusively for the .NET framework, and native code (like VS 6). I haven't done any benchmarks between the native code produced by the two, but I would think that VS.NET produces tighter code than VS 6, simply because it uses MS's latest and greatest compiler. That said, I doubt the difference between the native code generated by the two is very significant.

VS.NET's main thrust is enable developers to write applications that utilize the .NET framework. If you write a Managed Direct X application (which utilizes the .NET framework), you can expect to incur a 10-15% performance penalty for doing so. This may be acceptable for simple 3d games or game tools, but don't expect to see any major 3d engines using MDX anytime soon.

As someone who has worked extensively with both IDEs, I can tell you that the VS.NET development environment is a HUGE improvement over VS 6. The interfaces are more sophisicated, IntelliSense works consistently, and if you're doing anything web-related... don't get me started. So, the short answer to your question is yes, you are on crack. Try VS.NET instead, it's a much healthier addiction :)

- John

The post was edited 2 times, last by jovinhan ().

• Good answer.

Well said....

You can still develop a plain jane C++ app under the new development environment - so don't worry about the performance issues.

One interesting topic - I wonder if C# will be used as the defacto language for game development tools - like file packers, level editors, and stuff like that.

It's sure better than MFC/Win32/C++.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot