Controlling Object from script vs view

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Controlling Object from script vs view

Hey Guys,

In the book it is mentioned how the game views are meant to separate input and output to and from a 'user' ie. Human, Remote, AI.

However as I have made my scripting system modular, in that I am able to attach a script based movement controller as a script component on my actor, is this advisable? What are the pitfalls to something like this?

I remember Rez also saying that someone he new did a camera system in script and then moved it to C++, is this a good way to code movement controllers for actors as well?
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • RE: Controlling Object from script vs view

I assume you're talking about attaching a script to the actor that can update their position? This kind of thing is fairly common. The thing you usually have to watch out for is performance, but that's true of any system that relies of per-frame updates.

One pitfall is crossing the C++/Script boundary too much. You really want to cross that boundary as little as possible. For example, let's say you have 100 objects, each with a Lua Update() function as you described. You could spawn 100 Process objects that each links to an actor to call the appropriate Update() function. This would cause you to cross the C++/Lua boundary 100 times. Another approach is to create a manager in Lua that maintains a list to all of these objects. You have one C++ Process that just calls into the Lua object manager, which in turn loops through all objects and calls Update(). The effect is the same, but the second method is MUCH faster because it only crosses that boundary once.

In GCC, I show you how to write the ScriptProcess class. Really, there should only ever be a single ScriptProcess object. It should call into Lua to tick the script system and, ideally, that should be the only place where you cross that boundary and call into Lua.

Calling into C++ from Lua is also slow, but it's generally faster than whatever you were trying to do in Lua. For example, it's common to write complex math functions in C++ and have Lua call them. The overhead of doing this, especially since you're often using primitives, is still faster than executing the function in Lua in the first place.

-Rez
    • I've been working on my engine alot as I am on my 2 week break after my term finals, I have finally got it set up where I have scriptable objects with a few cool components to work with. What you said REALLY shows, I made a simple level file that has 3 walls (Basically a bucket), and entirely uses script to spawn 100 cubes all sharing the same 'input' script, immediately they all fall and cause the frame rate to drop significantly, when I press my 'a' key to make them all go left they sluggishly jolt to the left, however doing this with 5 blocks it runs very smooth.

Another interesting thing I observed was that I am passing the deltaT from my timer into my physics engine (Box2D), but the documentation says to use a fixed time step of 1.0/60.0, I don't understand how this would work as slow systems would play differently then fast systems, needless to say though as soon as the frame rate slowed down the physics went NUTS the boxes kind of swirled around untill they all launched out of the bucket like a cannon ball.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Yeah, physics systems don't do well with shifting frame rates. They generally prefer to be completely deterministic and when your frame rate slows to a crawl, they get confused. The Box2D documentation talks about this a bit.

Scripting systems give you a lot of flexibility and power, but the cost is performance. Still, I'm betting that there are some simple optimizations you can make to speed that up, like not crossing the Lua / C++ boundary so much. One thing you can do is not update objects every frame. On The Sims, every single sim has a set of stats that constantly decay, like hunger, energy, social, fun, etc. I don't loop through every motive and decay them based on a delta every frame, that would be too slow. Instead, I set up callbacks that are triggered when the Sim reaches an "interesting" value. Even on The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval where there were constantly updating meters, they were only decayed about once a second. These kinds of optimizations can really help. It might be worth running your game through a profiler to see where all your time is going.

-Rez