Am I doing this right?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Am I doing this right?

Hello, I'm currently sixteen years old and I'm really interested in game development(as you can see). I know you are busy people but I have to know this.
      SourceCode
      This is my project I've been working the last month. First of allq is it normally to take me so long time to do something like this?
      I saw the XMind thread, I've tried to do really simplefied version of the engine:
      List
      If it would help to navigate(ahh I forgot I didn't use folders in the source, just filters ;/ -> TODO)
      I have leared everything alone, since I was sixth grade(altough I didn't know I'm programming :P)
      Any things that shoud be changed? (I mean globally)

Currently I have no idea how to avoid dependacies. Seriously. I have compile time of 3 minutes and I haven't even started physics and scripting(scene graph is unfinished, I've got no frustum). When I started I had no idea about design patterns. I think this will take me down later. Any advices?(I'm currently reading this.
      Thanks.

PS. I Posted a thread about scene graph and event manager soon. Now when I'm to the game logic I see the real need of them. It is real pain to get some messages to their destination without the manager.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nickie2 ().

• If you are 16 and are able to program in C++ and write a small test engine with the architecture described in the GCC4 book, and somewhat understand it, you are on the right path.

When I was 16 I was just breaking through in understanding C++ completely, and was able to do some REALLY basic game stuff, I made a scene graph and tried to base my entire engine around that.

Just keep practicing, reading, programming cool stuff, asking for help, and you'll get there.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • RE: Am I doing this right?

Originally posted by Nickie2
      Hello, I'm currently sixteen years old and I'm really interested in game development(as you can see). I know you are busy people but I have to know this.
      SourceCode
      This is my project I've been working the last month. First of allq is it normally to take me so long time to do something like this?

Yes. Game programming takes a LONG time. The Sims 3 took like 6 years. The Sims Medieval took 2 years and it started with The Sims 3. A very basic game can take months, even when you're an experienced developer.

I glanced at some of the code in the repository and noticed a few things. First, there seems to be a complete lack or organization. You should organize files into logical directories to keep them nice and separate. When you have 20 files, it's not a big deal. When you have hundreds or even thousands of source files, it becomes critical. Here at work, we have nearly 200 projects (yes, 200 separate vcxproj files) across three or four solutions making up the entire game. It can get pretty crazy at times, so organizing your files up front is a good thing.

Second, I noticed that everything is public. You should never have public member variables unless there's a real reason to. In my entire game engine, I have one public member variable. And I'm not proud of it. Any const static variables are the exception to this rule.

Third, your naming conventions are inconsistent. You should strive to be consistent in all of your naming conventions. For example, some places you use the GCC style of having V in front of virtual functions and other places you don't. You should choose one and stick with it. It's more important to have a consistent coding style than a "correct" coding style in almost all cases.

Currently I have no idea how to avoid dependacies. Seriously. I have compile time of 3 minutes and I haven't even started physics and scripting(scene graph is unfinished, I've got no frustum). When I started I had no idea about design patterns. I think this will take me down later. Any advices?(I'm currently reading this.
      Thanks.

There are two types of dependencies: the first is an architectural dependency and the second is a source file dependency. I see both as problems in your code.

Architectural dependencies are much harder to deal with. Architecture is something you'll work on for your entire career. Even experienced engineers like Mike and I still have to sit down and think through an architecture to ensure that any dependencies are necessary and reasonable. Reading up on design patterns is a good first step, so I'd keep up with that. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that requires you fall into the same pitfalls we've all fallen into in order to learn. Humans learn best by trying something, failing, reflecting on why they failed, and trying again. Once you've had to rewrite your entire engine for the fifth time due to an inflexible architecture, you'll start learning why and how to change it.

As for file dependencies, a general rule of thumb is to avoid #include'ing anything in headers. For example, Actors.h includes TransformComponent.h. Not only does this break the abstraction (actors should never know about concrete components, only about the Component interface), but I also don't see anything in the file that uses anything in that header. You could probably just delete that line. Same thing with SceneManager.h; I don't think you're using anything from that file in Actor.h.

PS. I Posted a thread about scene graph and event manager soon. Now when I'm to the game logic I see the real need of them. It is real pain to get some messages to their destination without the manager.

Told ya. ;)

-Rez
    • One of the things that has helped my out a lot in my personal code is to follow google's coding style guide.
      google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml

Any decent development company probably has their own style guide that they adhere to, but until you get to the point of actually working at a company, it couldn't hurt to stick to one so that you are used to writing your code in a structured manor.

This is one of those things that was never taught to me in school, and when I look back at most of my project, I tend to cringe... ;(
    • Schools are generally REALLY bad about teaching good naming conventions, code consistency, and commenting. It drives me nuts.

I agree completely with Kl1X said, you really should just choose something and stick to it. Google's convention is just fine, although I personally disagree with several things. Read through the last "Parting Words" section. That's pretty much the philosophy that follow in the professional world.

-Rez
    • Ahh, I know about private & public members, naming conventions, and i use the sometimes. In most of books they suggest the hungarian one.
      I knew I have to follow a naming convention but It was harder than I expected(it already started to make me problems), I'll try to fix them now. Dependacies... I'll follow your advice. And I still think that if I want to learn to avoid dependacies I shoud continue coding. Maybe I shoud also play with XMind some time and learn the shortcuts. I see it can be really useful.

Also I can't fully agree with you about the school. I'm currently in Electornic Systems Bulgaria(I think its electornic ?!?! nvm jsut elsys :P). The programming level(from friends in 11th grade) is really high. However the personal expernience is telling me the same like Kl1x said. My programming teacher at 9th grade knew only pascal and C...

Thanks for the advices. They were really useful. Now I have "new achievements" to unlock :P