Visual Studio 11

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Visual Studio 11

Has anyone started to use VS 11?

In particular has anyone successfully set up LuaPlus build in 11?
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • RE: Visual Studio 11

Not really. I've heard mostly negative things about Visual Studio 2012 (as it's been renamed) and it's still too early for companies to start adopting it. As with most major Microsoft products, you're better off waiting until the first service pack.

If anyone has any positive experience with it, I'd love to hear about it. :)

-Rez
    • I honestly am loving it, the Intellisense was horrible in Release candidate, but it is very snappy now. It is really just alot of little things that I notice are improved that make coding alot easier, nothing major.

The only thing that sucks is not being able to use plugins until they are ported, with libraries it is easy enough to recompile them yourself, but I have found LuaPlus impossible to organize manually to a successful build, and JamPlus has not been updated to include 2012 yet so it cannot make the LuaPlus solution.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I have LUAPlus set up with a VS2012 project, and it seems to be working fine.
      I haven't set up scripting in my own project yet, but I tested the newly built lib file with the Teapot Wars/GCC4 project, and it worked fine.

Here's my project, if your interested in seeing how I set it up. (let me know if this link doesn't work for you)
      jason-wendlandt.com/home/kl1x/LUAPlus2012Project.zip

I used the information on this blog post to get it working.
      zynox.net/luaplus-1-compiling-basic-usage/
    • Kl1X you are now my best friend, I honestly scoured google for something like this but didn't find that page, so I tried to copy somewhat what the JamPlus generated.

The project compiled perfectly thanks again, I wasn't looking forward to going back to using luabind
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Glad to help! :)

One of the things I did on that project was turn the warning level down to Level 2 in VS. Otherwise you get a ton of warning messages. On my own project I would normally fix those messages, but I'd rather not dig into someone else's source code unless it's really not working.

I could never get JAMPlus to work at all.
    • I got janplus working, however its not a very big build system so in order to get help with it you literally have to contact one guy and hope he will fix it. Where with other build systems they are well tested and up to date.

At this point he has said he woul 'like' to support VS11 however it doesn't currently
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Yeah, JAM is his own personal build system. Nothing I know of uses it except LuaPlus (which he also wrote). Really, my only problem with LuaPlus is that is uses this convoluted build system. I really wish he'd just post the vcxproj files. Distributing the various project files for all the compilers he wants to support would be easier than using this system.

Kl1X: How did you assemble the project files? Did you just figure out the necessary project configurations?

-Rez
    • Rez, There wasn't much to it really.

I took all of the source files out of the LuaPlus zip "\Src\LuaPlus\" and "\Src\LuaPlus\Src\" and threw them in a new project in the directory structure that I wanted. Then you have to specifically exclude 3 of the source files, "LuaPlusAll.cpp", "lua.c", and "luac.c". From what I understand, those are used if you want to build a DLL instead of a lib, but are not needed for the lib.

For the project settings you just have to make sure it's set up to build as a lib then add WIN32 as a preprocessor defintion. Leave the character set as Multi-Byte. I tried to change this to Unicode at first, thinking it should match my project, but that just seemed to make things worse.

Also, fyi, I originally set this up as a VS2010 project, but moved it to 2012 to match my other projects.
    • It's probably worth including the 2010 version of tbhe vcxproj in the 3rdParty.zip file. I'll mess with it sometime this week.

-Rez
    • This is an email I got from him

LuaPlus's Jam-based build system is a complete build of the LuaPlus library and a bunch of community Lua modules. If you need just the LuaPlus source code, you can mostly add all files recursively in the Src/LuaPlus/ folder to your own build. You'll have to remove a few files like LuaPlusAll.cpp, lua.c, luac.c, and print.c. JamPlus now has Visual Studio 2012 support in its 'nextgen' branch. LuaPlus's 'nextgen' branch coincides with the build in JamPlus 'nextgen'. If you use 'nextgen', always be sure to pull w/ rebase. I regularly rebase the 'nextgen' branch on top of 'master'. The 'master' branch of LuaPlus will likely not have Visual Studio 2012 build support through JamPlus, but I might be able to be convinced otherwise.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I'm using Visual Studio 2012 with Windows 8 for my project. I needed it because Visual Studio 2010 randomly crashed after 5-10 minutes of using it.

Haven't used it that much so its too early to say a lot more about it rather than that I like it as much as I liked Visual Studio 2010 and I liked VC10 quite a lot ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by gbarnes ().

• I had a TON of trouble with VS in the windows 8 RC , I believe 2012 solved the issue but 2010 was definitely a no go.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Yeah it really does a wonder for your eyes when it's not like a flashlight pointing straight at you, I can't use anything in light theme.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x