To those with more experiance..

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To those with more experiance..

I just finished my first year computer Science courses (Geophyiscs Major), and have wanted to pick up game programming as a hobby, and this book seemed to be the one to get. I haven't gone to far into it yet,( halfway through chapter 2) but I noticed some things. My compsci class was in c++, but we never used the ,<list> or vector or anything like that. Which is fair, I have a book I can learn implimentation. The next thing is directx and c#. While I have worked with objects in c++, I have only really dabbled in c#. Also the API i have been playing around with is SDL.

My question is: how much should i learn from c# and directx before i really get into the book? or does it explain it enough to where I can kind of learn directx and c# when I come to it?
    • RE: To those with more experiance..

Hello and welcome to the forums! Also, congratulations on completing your first year of Computer Science studies.

C# is only used in the editor chapter, and since I wrote it, I find personally interesting, but to be honest you can consider that chapter optional for now if you'd rather concentrate on other things.

DirectX is a big subject, and the book doesn't teach DirectX as much as it simply uses DirectX. I think learning DirectX (or OpenGL for that matter) is a good idea if you want to concentrate your work in 3D Graphics. If you are more interested in other topics, like AI or game architecture, you can skip a deep dive into Direct X.

It may surprise you to learn that many professional game programmers never touch graphics programming at all, and never once have to type anything related to DirectX.

But, if you are going to be a solo programmer and learn the ropes, it is a good idea to learn it at some point. When you learn it is completely up to you.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I have successfully implemented SDL and OpenGL with the Engine presented in this book, so that IS an option however the examples in this book do use DirectX.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz