Starting DirectX Programmer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Starting DirectX Programmer

I have been programming for a little while now, trying to teach my self Graphics Programming... I do have Game Coding Complete, but i get the feeling that i need to learn more of DirectX...

Are their any resources that someone recomends for begining DirectX Programmers?
      Wort wort wort.
    • RE: Starting DirectX Programmer

I found the directx9 documentation along with the tutorials and samples very helpful. can never really knock ms for their lack of documentation.

I also found "programming role playing games with directx" by jim adams from premier press very helpful in an oop way. I liked the way he organized the libraries anyway. It does use dx8 though so might want to watch out for that. some pretty big differences between 8 and 9 I thought

cheers
    • RE: Starting DirectX Programmer

In my reply to your COM question, I mentioned "Windows Game Programming for Dummies". Don't be put off by the title - it's a great book. It's a little dated, but it's all about the fundamentals of 2D using DirectX, and none of that has changed. A word of warning though - Andre is old school, and all his code is procedural - no OOP. So you have some typing to do if you want to use his code in an OOP project. Mr Mike assumes a bit of knowledge, which is fine coz he has more important things to teach us, but this book will fillin the blanks.

pj