2nd Edition vs 4th Edition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, first off there are now 2 authors contributing, so there is alot more content. If you are into Direct3D then GCC4 works with the latest Direct3D11.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • There's a lot of improvements and changes has been made since the 2nd edition. Like what mholley519 said, the 4th edition now works with DX11 but the engine still has the ability to use DX9 if DX11 is not supported. So you might learn a thing or two about designing code to support multiple platforms/tech implementations.

A lot of the systems has been rewritten and new systems has been added too.

* Not using boost library anymore
      * Game objects now use a component based system that also uses XML
      * Project is now migrated to VS2010
      * New cache system
      * The new author, Rez, is an AI programmer; there's a lot of new stuff in there about AI
      * New editor
      * And a gazillion more.

The 4th edition is definitely worth buying. Now go forth and buy the book! :D
    • I have heard about that one, and have read one of those demo's where you can read 5 pages, it was a while ago so I can't remember where. It is a big book, not that Game Coding Complete isn't, It goes alot more in depth with engine architecture. So yes, it would definitely compliment GCC well.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz