Professor Rez

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Professor Rez

Are you in? 20
        Side project involving Teapot Wars (8) 40%
        Online presentation / class (20) 100%
      So, in another thread I mentioned toying with the idea of doing some kind of online presentation or class and people seemed interested. I also talked a but about organizing a group project that everyone contributed to; maybe taking Teapot Wars up a notch and turning it into something fun.

This poll is to see who (if anyone) is actually interested in these things. Also, post what you would hope to get out of it and what you'd expect.

-Rez
    • I really like this idea.

I ticked both because I think that both would be beneficial, but I think my preference would lie with a Teapot Wars based side project.

I feel that I learn a lot more by doing than I do by just reading. I also work much better when there are deadlines (which wouldn't necessarily be the case, but I could set my own ones) and when other people are relying on me!

As for what I'd hope to get out of it, i've already got a strong founding in software engineering as I'm an embedded software engineer by trade, but some better understanding of how the principals apply to the game industry would be nice, and about the best practices and architectures to apply. I would also appreciate the chance (if you were to start off a side project) to contribute to a real project and learn from my peers and betters!

I obviously wouldn't want you to overburden yourself with this though, I can imagine that either of these would take up a significant chunk of your free time!

Sorry for the long post, I hope this kind of information is useful!

The post was edited 1 time, last by peanutsandwich ().

• I'm glad to see that there's some interest in this. :) With regards to over-burdening me, keep in mind that I probably wouldn't be contributing to the project directly. I would be acting in more of a mentor role looking at code diffs and helping to guide/coordinate features. It's still very much in the conceptual stage but it's definitely helpful to hear everyone's ideas for what they want out of this.

-Rez
    • To be honest, I still struggle alot with the Game Logic Aspect of things, I wouldn't mind being guided along the process of loading a simple level that attached different scripts to Actors. I understand how to manage a state machine to transition between, main menu, single player etc.

What I am having trouble with is understanding how to define in data how a level and it's actors react to situations like collisions, player interactions etc.
      I wouldn't mind partnering with some people to really see how it works.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz