Time to face the fear, time to create a game engine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Time to face the fear, time to create a game engine

I have been putting this off for quite a while now, but I am now ready to face the fear. Thia is second version of Gaming Coding compleete I have bought ,and without a doubt Rez ,and Mike do an excellent job of discussing different aspect of engine development , and while I am highly confident in my programming ability , theory is nothing without actual practice , so I look forward to in a few months when I can reply back to the teapot challenge.

P.S

Say a slient prayer for my keyboard of these next couple of months.
      Just another Noob grinding in the game we call life.
    • RE: Time to face the fear, time to create a game engine

You can read everything there is to read on game development and still not know how to truly make a game. There's no substitute for actually sitting down and typing out code trying to get a game working.

My advice to you would be to start out small. Don't try to make Skyrim or Warlock: Master of the Arcane for your first game. Start with something that seems trivially easy, like Tetris. Or, since you mentioned by challenge from the Teapot Wars chapter, try turning Teapot Wars into something bigger and better. Honestly, that's closer to professional dev. Most of the time you're trying to fit your code in with code written by several other people.

Let us know if you have any questions. :)

-Rez
    • RE: Time to face the fear, time to create a game engine

Originally posted by rezination
      You can read everything there is to read on game development and still not know how to truly make a game. There's no substitute for actually sitting down and typing out code trying to get a game working.

My advice to you would be to start out small. Don't try to make Skyrim or Warlock: Master of the Arcane for your first game. Start with something that seems trivially easy, like Tetris. Or, since you mentioned by challenge from the Teapot Wars chapter, try turning Teapot Wars into something bigger and better. Honestly, that's closer to professional dev. Most of the time you're trying to fit your code in with code written by several other people.

Let us know if you have any questions. :)

-Rez

Thank you for the kind words , and no worries , I am not out to make the new Skyrim hehe . I learned that hard lesson years ago when I started my software engineering degree. This project is more or less for my own enrichment, and to have another completed piece of work for my portfolio , as I prepare to gradurate next year.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AgentLeo ().

• Awesome. :) Having a portfolio is extremely important. It's what separates you from everyone else.

-Rez
    • I thought I would hop in , and post an update. (No I did not fall into the oblivion :D ). I have made alot of progress completely finishing the Actor system , and pllaying around with adding my own interfaces , and adding OpenGL support. I am decent enough experience with DirectX 9, 10 to be able to resolve most issues, but I have no OpenGL experience so this should be interesting. I dunno how much work I will be doing for next few weeks, as my Survey of Quantum Physics classs is currently taking up a chunk load of my time. I guess this is my payback for taking a week off ,and going down to LA for E3 , how dare I have fun!!! :( Also I recently have purchased a Torque 3D license , and I am finding the source code pretty easy to read from just reading Game Code Complete. The concepts of coding in general for most things on the surface are the same.

The post was edited 2 times, last by AgentLeo ().

• If you need any help with OpenGL PM me, I am not a pro but I can help you with most stuff.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz