Svn Yay!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I just setup a SVN server for personal use, learned a few commands and had updated a few web projects I work on to it. Now I have structure, another backup method, and can work from all my computers, how sweet it is indeed! :D

*Cross Fingers* Apache2 htaccess is strong enough to prevent code stealing!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I use Assembla.com, they offer free private SVN and decent amount of feautures. I didn't wan't to have it set up on my PC so that's why I went with an online version. It is really nice especially when you mess something up you can just revert it.

It also makes it easy to sink across platforms, I have a Visual Studio project for windows and a Code::blocks Project for Ubuntu Linux, each time I switch platforms I do an update and it is ready to build. (My engine is completely cross platform which is why it's so easy)
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I did the same thing. I go through Dreamhost and they offer SVN, which I connect to through TortoiseSVN. The server is on a faster network connection than mine at home and they do nightly backups. It's nice to have that extra safety net.

-Rez
    • Rez, have you ever checked out ankhSVN plugin for Visual Studio? Thats what I use on WIndows, lets you completely integrate a project with SVN, its free to.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • I've seen it, yeah. I'm not a big fan of source control being integrated with my IDE, much to the shock of my fellow programmers. I've run into too many issues with it in the past and prefer to be explicit.

I'm not saying that it's bad, it's just a quirk of mine.

-Rez
    • I use RabbitSVN on Ubuntu Linux, as there doesn't seem to be a plugin for any of the Linux IDE's. Rabbit is like TortoiseSVN
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x