What music do you listen to while programming?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What music do you listen to while programming?

Favorite Genere 44
        Oldies (4) 9%
        Rock (Heavy) (24) 55%
        Rock (Soft) (7) 16%
        Pop (2) 5%
        Opera (0) 0%
        Jazz (1) 2%
        Hip Hop/ R&B (5) 11%
        Country (1) 2%
      Do you have a set playlist that you happily key along with the tune?

Feel free to share some of your favorite items here!

Most of the time I really have nothing except my fingers tapping the keyboard as my music of choice, especially when I'm in the "Zone." But there are those times when I am testing out my code and enjoy some tunes. I currently have an empty playlist and I'm looking at the replies here to expand it!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • You missed a category, Classical! I listen two a lot, but mainly 2 types. When I am in hard thinking can't figure something out mode I like to listen to Chopin. When I am in uber fast hyper typing mode, I listen to Christian Metal mostly Demon Hunter. The headbanging can make the monitor hard to focus on though :D
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • My son thinks head banging is hilarious, so much so now whenever I play anything heavy like metal he does it to,hes just 2 1/2 but already making me proud lol
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • RE: What music do you listen to while programming?

Do mean oldies like 80's music or oldies like 70's music or oldies like 60's music, etc. etc. etc.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot

Originally posted by mrmike
      Do mean oldies like 80's music or oldies like 70's music or oldies like 60's music, etc. etc. etc.

Way to show your age there, Mike. ;)

What about a category for all of the above? I feel like this should have been a list of check boxes instead of a radio button list.

For me, it depends what I'm trying to do. If I'm writing a bunch of code, it's something up-tempo. If I'm trying to solve a tricky design problem, it's something a bit more ethereal and mild. If I'm trying to drown out noise from the office around me, it's anything loud.

-Rez

Originally posted by mrmike

Well it can be anything 60 on up, I was actually snickering to myself while adding that, it was baited for you MrMike! 8)

You are correct Rez it could have been more diversified :P (You also need a larger inbox lol, been trying all day to send you something!)

I like the feedback thus far, I would have never guessed heavy metal would have been so popular! :) I'll have to give it a try!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gaddam ().

• Yes if you time each key press to the tempo of the drummers double kicks, you will have a complete game in a day or so.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • i normally listen to various types of Music. I switch from adult contemporary, Oldies(40s yes i listen to 40s), to chinese music, to country, and, rarely but still do, rock and techno. I tend to listen to adult contemporary the most. I used to have a playlist but i get bored with my playlist very fast. So i've been listening to the radio or internet radio stations. I prefer radio stations because of its random factor not knowing what song it will play next and saves me the time of thinking what type of music to play.

I use this program called RadioSure. It maintains a database of internet radio stations and it gets updated frequently.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BrentChua ().

• Funny thing, I was doing some programming and found I was humming the theme song for Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. So I am listening to the soundtrack now
      and it is inspiring me lol
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • It pretty much started when i played Fallout 3. lol. No favorite song in particular. But some of the artists i usually listen to are:

Louis Armstrong
      Ella Fitzgerald
      Andrews Sisters
      Bing Crosby
      Dinah Shore
      Perry Como

There's a lot more but that's all i can remember on top of my head right now.
    • I really like Josh Garrells, youtube it he's got alot on there, check out White Owl
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x