Wow! Great Stuff!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wow! Great Stuff!

A few weeks ago the GCC4 book landed at my door, I was so eager to start and I still had another learning book that was almost complete. Now, what is all this about really? It's about the gold nuggets in this book. I'm now on Chapter 9 and while I'm still just getting my toes in the murky waters of game programming, it's nice to feel like you have 2 competent authors holding your hand along the way.

The industry experience from both of you shines through and through without question. I really appreciated that neither of you just threw up examples and expected the reader to run with them, you took a little extra to explain why something was bad or good and how it was implemented. I always keep good directory structures so that was a plus to read, how using Interfaces can save you a ton of work if something needs to change in development.

I just finished up Chapter 8 and moving into 9 now, I'm curious to see how you deal with inputs. I've worked with other books that preach staying away from built in functions because of speed issues, and sadly I no longer feel confident in those other authors. I now have higher expectations, and feel like I deserve to get what I pay for. I did here and more then I actually expected.

Now, fellow readers let's get our Amazon reviews completed and help expand this community. I feel for the price of this book you really get way more then you pay for. Considering, I've spent $200 on other books that proclaim to teach you what you need to know and fall extremely short of "this is outside the scope of this book" and while few of those statements exists in GCC4, it is truly because it would have taken an entire book to explain further.

I also wanted to throw out that $200 on a game engine that was already built up and ready to go. While it was always in the back of my mind this book was the saving grace I needed from doing just that. Considering I'd have a game engine that I could tweak for what I needed, add and remove functionality as I needed it, and just knowing all the code in the engine was well worth it. Unless it is well known and comes with the source code buying an engine is well, now not worth it in my opinion.

Now, time to crack open a energy drink and have a go at chapter 9. I'm offering praise here because it is due, I have no personal ties to either of these authors and I'm not hired by some outside company to write reviews all over the place. Shew, now that's out of the way!

Leave a review: Amazon Link and if you haven't purchased this book yet, consider it!

Further discussion: What if any books have you purchased recommended as further reading in GCC4? I've considered a few of them and leaning towards the patterns book mentioned, it's in my wish list at the moment!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I'm all verklempt reading this post.

It is exactly this type of sentiment, and the readers on this site, that motivated me to open the door to the fourth edition - which of course promoted Rez from serious contributor to full fledged co-author.

Without you, the readers of GCC1, 2, 3, and now 4 this book and this website wouldn't exist at all.

So, please please go up to Amazon and post a review! They really help. But don't forget to pat yourselves on the back too.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Thanks man! We worked really hard to try and make this a great resource for people just like you. I get a lot of satisfaction from reading the posts and questions on this board. You have no idea how surreal it is to write a book and have a bunch of people read it and comment on it. ;)

The thing I'm really waiting for is a game demo. I can't wait until someone posts a demo based on the book, or answers my challenge from the Teapot Wars chapter.

-Rez
    • I'm about to move into chapter 11, everything has been cleanly laid out and while my goal isn't to memorize ever single line of the book, it is however to be comfortable with knowing what's going on. I can always go back and read again if I need to refresh my memory banks.

I love the short comments in the book so far about emailing Mike if we have a better way to do something, that job offer is sweet.. but sadly I can't think of a better way! I will be looking forward to your challenge Rez and see what I can come up with.

As for my first game that's already a given, and I'm taking it a step further for the element of surprise.. oh how everything floods into your brain when the creative juices start to flow.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • Well so far I have been writing an engine that is based on the concepts of the book, I find if I try to copy out someone else's code I don't learn anything, but if I understand the concept's and implement them myself I REALLY get it. I tried to write a 2D engine when I was 16 about 6 years ago, and it ran into tons of issues. After a friend recommended this book I was in shock, all the question's I had and couldn't find from googleing or in other books were answered. I mainly struggled with not how each system did things ie. Graphics, Sound, Input etc. But how they were glued together and worked in unison. I'd also like to thank you guys for the hard work you have put into this, and the laughs I have had reading your tales from the pixel mines, it is a rarity to read a book that portrays advanced concepts but keeps it funny at the same time.

I'll definitely post anything that I make with the engine, I already have the design and concept in place but it's a surprise. :)

P.S. The one tale about ommitting the goto keyword was my favourite, I am a tradesman as well so I love pranking coworkers, that was classic :D
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().