Visual Studio 11 Beta & GCC4

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Visual Studio 11 Beta & GCC4

I downloaded the VS11 Ultimate beta the other night and thought I'd try converting GCC4 to run in it.
      It was actually pretty straight forward.

In the source code I had to update the following in GameCodeStd.h

C Source Code

1. #include <memory.h>
      2. becomes
      3. #include <memory>

Then they moved the shared pointer classes out of TR1 and into the base STD namespace. So the following changed:

Source Code

1. using std::tr1::shared_ptr;
      2. using std::tr1::weak_ptr;
      3. using std::tr1::static_pointer_cast;
      4. using std::tr1::dynamic_pointer_cast;
      5. becomes
      6. using std::shared_ptr;
      7. using std::weak_ptr;
      8. using std::static_pointer_cast;
      9. using std::dynamic_pointer_cast;
      Display All

From there I just had to rebuild the 3rd party libraries, after converting the projects from VS2010 to VS11. Bullet 2.79 would not build, due to STD namespace issues, so I downloaded version 2.80 and it built fine.

The only library I did not touch was LuaPlus, because I couldn't get Jam to work the last time I tried, so i didn't bother trying this time.

After that, I just copied the newly built libs and pdb files into ..\trunk\Source\Lib\Win32Debug and everything worked fine. i was able to rebuild each project, and debug both the EditorApp and TeapotWars.

This might be a good temporary solution to anyone who might still be having issues with VS2010 Express. Although, I think Rez solved those for the most part.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kl1X ().

• RE: Visual Studio 11 Beta & GCC4

Nice work! Thanks for posting this.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • You're welcome!

I forgot to mention that during all the rebuilding I was seeing a lot of warnings for what looked like D3D Macro redefinitions (I'm at work at the moment, so I can't see them).
      But the builds still succeeded, so I didn't worry about them.
    • RE: Visual Studio 11 Beta & GCC4

Originally posted by bad habit
      I noticed with jamplus that it doesn't like white spaces, i'm sure theres some special syntax to overcome this though. So if your lua project is in something like ..\mydocuments\visual studio 2010 you'll only get the 2010 part.

Interesting, i'll have to try with a simple directory structure next time. I'm sure i'll have to build LuaPlus at some point in the future.
    • Kl1X: If you manage to get LuaPlus building in Visual Studio 2010 without any errors, let us know. Posting the solution file and any project files would be a huge help and, assuming it works for us, we'll go ahead and include them in the 3rdParty.zip file on Google code.

-Rez
    • Originally posted by rezination
      Kl1X: If you manage to get LuaPlus building in Visual Studio 2010 without any errors, let us know. Posting the solution file and any project files would be a huge help and, assuming it works for us, we'll go ahead and include them in the 3rdParty.zip file on Google code.

-Rez

That sounds like a challenge! I'll have to look into it. :D
    • Is that challenge open to anyone? I've had LuaPlus building in VS 2010 for a few months now, which I figured you (Rez) knew from me talking about getting it to build and linker errors... I could post mine if that helps, or I'll leave it for Kl1X :) (Unless you meant VS11, which I am building under, but as a VS2010 project.)

James
    • I didn't know you got it to actually work. Send me your 2010 project files and I'll test them out. If it works, I'll add them to the 3rdParty zip file.

-Rez