Error message when building TeapotWars

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Error message when building TeapotWars

I am using VC++ 2010 and get this error message when trying to build the TPW game:

unable to start program: game path and subfolders\Win32Debug\TeapotWars_2010Win32Debug.exe ... Cannot find the file specified.

I tried searching for this file and its not in any of the folders downloaded from the trunk at google.

Any ideas?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Roster ().

• I went through the readme.txt and configured the settings as best as I could, and am still getting the same error message about the debug.exe.

I am using Visual C++ Express 2010, not Visual Studio, so things were a little different. Maybe that's the problem.?

• I would imagine a number of people are using Visual Studio 2010 Express since the full version costs quite a bit. Unfortunately, neither Mike nor I have express so we weren't able to test it directly. Can someone confirm that express works?

I'm guessing you're hitting F5 to try to build & run the app? Try just building. Go to Build -> Clean Solution followed by Build -> Rebuild Solution. Do you get the error? Can you attach your build log?

-Rez
    • VC++ 2010 also complains about the project file type being out of date, but opens it anyway.

Here is the debug output when just building:

1>------ Build started: Project: GameCode4_2010, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
      1> GameCodeStd.cpp
      1>f:\personal_backups\game development\gamecode4\dev\source\gcc4\msvc\gamecodestd.h(57): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'atltypes.h': No such file or directory
      2>------ Build started: Project: TeapotWars_2010, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
      2> TeapotWarsStd.cpp
      2>f:\personal_backups\game development\gamecode4\dev\source\gcc4\msvc\gamecodestd.h(57): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'atltypes.h': No such file or directory
      ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

the header that it is looking for is not in the gamecode4 folder

• Damn, it's the atltypes.h issue. We use atltypes.h for a number of things and it appears that Visual Studio Express doesn't have the file.

Is anyone else using Visual Studio Express?

I've added a bug to remove the dependency on atltypes.h. I'll try to get to it in the next few days. Sorry about that, it's hard to know what Visual Studio Express supports and doesn't support. :-/

The bug is here if you want to track it:
      code.google.com/p/gamecode4/issues/detail?id=14

-Rez
    • I checked in a fix for this. Go ahead and sync to the latest code from SVN and try again. If you're using Tortoise SVN, you can just right-click on the top-level folder and select SVN Update. This will bring you to the latest version. Let me know if you have any trouble.

-Rez
    • Hey rez am also trying to get this working with express.

Have just updated and it is now failing on an include of afxres.h in Editor.rc and TeapotWars.rc

I believe this is a MFC file. Express doesn't come with the ATL and MFC libraries however I think there is a way of downloading them but I haven't looked into it. I only use MFC and ATL at work where I have a full visual studio.

I to am getting a message when opening the solution about a project I believe is because theTeapotWarsEditor is a C# project and in express the C++ and C# editors are different applications so the C++ one (opening the solution) cannot open the C# project. If I open the solution within the C# editor I get the errors about the C++ projects but I am able to build the editor. It could be an idea to separate these projects into a C++ solution and C# solution.

I have also noticed that you cannot build the 3rdparty projects with your build script. The express editions don't have a devenv. I have tried changing this to vcexpress but it doesn't output the results when run and isn't a simple swap. I am just looking to see if I can get a script that will build these projects with express. Failing that I have just been building each one by hand.
    • I didn't realize how different Visual Studio Express is from the base IDE, that's pretty lame. :-/

If you guys come with a set of consistent instructions to get Teapot Wars building on Express, let me know and I'll add it to the readme.

-Rez
    • I have tried replacing the use of afxres.h with windows.h which will compile the solution with no errors :)

I then had it crash setting up the resource cache. I am not sure where in the project the directory is set for the assets however if I moved a copy of the asset.zip into the mscv folder it would load all the assets correctly.

Teapot wars then ran fine, however DXUT complained on exit of a none zero ref count.

Also didn't spot that the 3rd party stuff was already built, bit overeager I guess. If you wanted to know though I did make an edit of the build file to use msbuild instead of devenv and that seemed to work with express.
    • A list of limitations can be found on the VS Express wikipedia page.

Visual Studio Express Wiki

One work around for 64-bit limitations is to install the Windows SDK, which includes a 64 bit compiler.

I was lucky, and was provided VS2010 Pro through the MS academic alliance program while attending college. You could always sign up for a programming class at your local community college. :D
    • Originally posted by astagg
      I then had it crash setting up the resource cache. I am not sure where in the project the directory is set for the assets however if I moved a copy of the asset.zip into the mscv folder it would load all the assets correctly.

Your working directory should be set to ..\..\..\Game in order to be correct. It defaults to $(ProjectDir), which is where the vcxproj file is.

Teapot wars then ran fine, however DXUT complained on exit of a none zero ref count.

Is this with the editor or the Teapot Wars? I get this with the editor, but I don't with Teapot Wars.

Also didn't spot that the 3rd party stuff was already built, bit overeager I guess. If you wanted to know though I did make an edit of the build file to use msbuild instead of devenv and that seemed to work with express.

Reading the readme file is good. ;)

-Rez
    • Originally posted by rezination

Your working directory should be set to ..\..\..\Game in order to be correct. It defaults to $(ProjectDir), which is where the vcxproj file is.

Ok changed the working directory from $(ProjectDir) and the resources are now found as expected. Although it would seem that the ingame dialogs have a pink background.

Originally posted by rezination
      Is this with the editor or the Teapot Wars? I get this with the editor, but I don't with Teapot Wars.
      -Rez

The above change seems to have fixed this but it was in Teapot Wars.

Have still to get the editor to run, the visual c# express seems to be even more different :(