Hey Readers! Post a Review on Amazon!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey Readers! Post a Review on Amazon!

There aren't any reviews at all on Amazon.com yet.

Please do Rez and I the favor of posting a review!
      Amazon Page for GCC4
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • While I've not had the book for long, or had the chance to really dive into it. I did read over it to see how it was laid out, if I enjoyed the writing style, and did the information make sense. I was very happy with my purchase, and the site here was a big perk outside of just having a great book.

Thank you Rez and Mike for working so hard, and delivering a solid product. I've purchased around 10 books within the past 5 months to learn from, none of them are current with DirectX or using VS 2010. The only thing that kept me from returning them was that they still hold some information that is useful.

With that said, I did leave a review just now. I feel it's fair and deserving for the quality of work, and the attention to detail you both gave the new revision.
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • When I order a book on Amazon I always have this anxiety while it's getting shipped to my house because I get so excited, when I finally get a book I have to crack it open and give it a quick read through. When I finished going over GCC4 I was very satisfied with my purchase, and with other books I've never gotten that 'I'm so glad I purchased this book' feeling.

So you both made my day too!
      You may call me char 71 97 100 100 97 109.
    • I just read three FIVE STAR reviews up on Amazon! Wow what a great thing it is to read them.

One thing I did see that I am compelled to address - one of the reviews said that I did the lions share of the work. That may have been true for the first three editions, but I can say with 100% certainty that is NOT the case with the fourth edition.

I believe Rez and I did a great job splitting the work, and he was my partner through and through.

Ok. Itch scratched. Justice done.
      Mr.Mike
    • As far as I know the Kindle version is 1:1 equivalent with the book, except the Kindle weighs a lot less!!!!
      Mr.Mike
    • Just got my copy!

Hey guys, just got my copy of your book in the mail today! I read the very first edition a friend had back in 2005, and when I saw you had a new edition out, I knew I had to get it!

I noticed that your copyright page says this book is '© 2013'. Does that mean it's public domain until then... haha.

Anyway, I'll likely post a review soon, I'm going to go through it a little first so I sound like I know what I'm talking about. The source code online... wow! What a resource for a new programmer!

Thanks for all your hard work!
    • RE: Just got my copy!

Hello there and welcome to buuck! Or is that welcome back? Either way it's great to have you post.

Oh, and my publisher assures me the copyright year is valid, the book is not public domain....give it another, what, 25 years?
      Mr.Mike
    • Somebody really blasted the book on Amazon, critiquing the casual way you explain things, I've got to say that the casual way you explain and joke in the book is what made me love it.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • When you go to a GDC lecture, you get a questionnaire at the end that asks you to rate the speaker. You're also given the opportunity to leave comments. The speaker is shown each score along with all the comments. I've given a number of talks at GDC and every time I do, I get conflicting information. For example, I generally talk really fast and energetically, with lots of gesticulation. Some feedback I get is that I talk too fast, but I also get feedback saying that my energy and pacing is perfect.

The reality is that you can't please everyone. Personally, I can't stand books like Knuth's The Art of Programming or most advanced-level CS books. They are dry, uninteresting, and a nightmare to slog through. By the first couple of chapters, I've completely lost interest. Even Design Patterns can be a bit dry for my tastes. Take in contrast a book like Effective C++ or Artificial Intelligence in games or even Dave Mark's excellent book Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI. The tone is completely different, even though the material is just as complex. I find that I absorb that stuff much more quickly. About 10 or 12 years ago, I was teaching myself about data structures. I could understand how hash maps worked until I read Data Structures for Game Programmers. It showed me visually what was happening and it clicked instantly. Hash tables are actually a very simple concept, they were just never explained to me in a way that caused it to click.

I saw an interview with Monty Python where they talked about their success. They said something that's always stuck with me. They said that it was never been about being successful, it was always just about making the five of them laugh. When creating large bodies of work that will be consumed by a large amount of people, you have to remain true to yourself. You can't worry too much about how it will be received. If you try to go against your own grain, you'll end up with something sub-par.

Mike and I wrote this book in a casual format because we wanted it to be accessible. We both prefer books that have a more conversational tone than ones that sound like you're reading statistics off of a spreadsheet. I don't think either of us could have written a Knuth-style book if we wanted to, we're just not that kind of author. The fact that we were able to reach all of you makes it worth the effort.

-Rez
    • Even the person who didn't enjoy the tone of the book rated it a 4/5, so that's not bad at all. As Rez said, you can't please everyone and expect a 5/5 every time.

When writing I found that creating a conversational style was the easiest for me, going all the way back to GCC1. I wanted to establish a relationship with the reader that made them feel we were just two coders sitting next to each other and working on a single problem together.

Rez writes the same way, and his personality comes through his writing in exactly the same way. I'm glad we didn't try to blend our voices into some kind of mish-mash in the book - the idea of which was considered but quickly dismissed by Rez, everyone at Cengage, and me.

So, sure this reviewer didn't prefer our choice here, but that's ok. I still sincerely appreciate that he found something he didn't like about the book, but still rated it a 4/5.
      Mr.Mike
    • Thats true, I guess you can't 100% please everyone :)
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Thanks Cowbacca! Love the userid btw.
      Mr.Mike
    • I tried to picture what a cowbacca would look like...something like Barf from Spaceballs maybe lol
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x