Game Programming Supplements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: Game Programming Supplements

It depends on your goal. If you want to be a graphics programmer, you will absolutely need a good book on DirectX 11 and/or OpenGL as well as a general book on graphics and probably a book or two on shaders. If you're just starting out, I wouldn't bother. Mike has three excellent chapters that cover basic 3D principles, DirectX 11, and basic shader programmer. This is enough to get you started. After you master those chapters, you can decide if you want to go further. Depending on your interest, you may not need another book on graphics. By contrast, I've been in the industry for 7 years and have zero books on graphics, but my interest is primary AI so I don't need them.

-Rez
    • I would read through the book in order. There's a lot of foundational stuff you should learn before diving into DirectX, like how it fits with the rest of the engine.

-Rez
    • I'd say definitely grab a Direct3D 11 book - what the 4th edition does is help you understand how to plug DirectX 3D 11 bits into a game engine, rather than just in little standalone samples.

I think GCC4 gives you a great playground to really learn D3D11 once you are past the basics that GCC4's 3D chapters teach.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I would also like to recommend "Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11" by Jason Zink. This book is more of a reference than an intro to DX11 but its nice to have and read through after Luna's book. It's a bit dry to read but it also provides lots of examples and Jason has an open-source engine provided with this book.

Additionally, you might also want "Game Engine Architecture" by Jason Gregory. Its a good supplement to GCC4. It talks about different system components of a engine and provides some bits and pieces of code to further improve or add to your engine. This has helped me a lot in building my own engine together with the GCC4 book.