GPU Buzzing Noise

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: GPU Buzzing Noise

As in, your video card actually buzzes? Cause that's bad. Whether or not it's demanding, you're still running a 3D app. I can hear my GPU fan kick in as soon as I boot up any D3D game. If you're hearing an actual buzzing, check out your fan and make sure it's good. Make sure there are no obstructions and try to blast some compressed air in there.

-Rez
    • Actually the buzzing can come about because of a phenomena known as the noisy capacitors. Simply put the current is fluctuation on the graphics card causing it's cheap coil based capacitors to "squeal".

It's perfectly normal and happens on a number of graphics cards. My GTX 280 has suffered from this issues from day 1 and it works just fine.

If you're really bothered by the noise, try forcing on VSYNC as this will cause the GPU to operate at a lower intensity.

Here is a link regarding the issue.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sent1nel ().

• Thanks for the replies. I checked some other sites and also saw other people having problems with their fans hitting the casing or something like that. I think the fan is ok becasue the computer is new with an nVidia GF GT 530. I also hear it kick in when playing a game, but no buzzing/clicking sound.

I will have to checkout the VSYNC.

Do you think it could have something to do with the message loop? For instance, the app is not receiving messages and goes directly to render(), and there isnt a whole lot of rendering going on (for the most basic tutorial it is a single triangle), and therefore is continuously going straight to render(). I havent checked the frame rate, but there is nothing to stop it from going above a certain FPS limitation. I am new to this, so I dont really know what if this is even possible, but was wondering if this could be an issue with the graphics pipeline.

PS. has the GCC4th ed been released? I pre-order it a fews months ago.
    • I installed the Intel Graphics Performance Analyzer and ran the app through that and the FPS averaged around 4200 FPS. This must be the problem.? From what I have read, it seems that the industry standard is a minimum of 30 FPS. What would the maximum be. In other words, when would the increased frame rate be an overkill and be a waste of processing?
    • Actually this is perfectly normal for a relatively simple and empty 3D program! it is only when you start calling more and more Draw() calls and start stressing your pixel shaders that your FPS will drop.

Well, to tell you the truth the more you start using it the more dramatic it will drop, but the drop will slow down usually.

Also do remember that graphics cards are hardly the bottleneck these days for most programs, unless you are really drawing a lot and using plenty of pixel operations as I said.

You can limit you frame rate to 60 FPS in order to not strain your card and CPU too much.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shanee ().